In SCCM 2012 (ConfigMgr), Content Management has completely changed to what we did in SCCM 2007. So it’s some what difficult to search the new content library folders and find out the source files for SCCM (ConfigMgr) admins. As part of SCCM ConfigMgr 2012 R2 tool kit, Microsoft has released an excellent tool to explore the content library very easily. In this post, I’m going to give a walk through of the features of Content Library Explorer tool.
What we can do using The Content Library Explorer (ContentLibraryExplorer.exe)
- The Content Library Explorer (ContentLibraryExplorer.exe) allows to explore content library on a specific distribution point.
- ContentLibraryExplorer.exe helps us to troubleshoot the issues related to content library.
- Helps to copy and explore the content directly from the tool.
- Packages can be redistributed to the distribution point, and on remote distribution points, packages can be validated.
Access required for connecting to a Distribution Point with The Content Library Explorer (ContentLibraryExplorer.exe)
- Administrative access to the target distribution point.
- Access to WMI provider and ConfigMgr provider.
- Full Administrator and Read-Only Analyst have sufficient rights to view all information from this tool.
How to Use The Content Library Explorer (ContentLibraryExplorer.exe)
1. Connect to any of the SCCM 2012 R2 DP with FQDN. The account should have required privileges as mentioned above. When the distribution point is part of a secondary site, you need to provide the FQDN of the primary site server, and the primary site code.
2. Once ContentLibraryExplorer.exe tool connected to the DP then on the left pane, you can see the packages distributed to this DP. You can expand each package. Also, you can explore the folder structure.
3. Once you select any of the package in ContentLibraryExplorer.exe tool left panel, then on the RIGHT pane will show you the details of the package.
When a package folder is selected in Content Library Tool, if it contains any files, these will be listed in the right pane. You will get all the details about
1.File name 2. File size 3. Drive the package content is located 4. other packages that use the same file on this package 5.when the file was last changed on the DP and 6. The Full FQDN of content source file.
4. The tool also provides warning about INVALID packages in your SCCM ConfigMgr content Library. The packages that are missing one or more content files will be marked invalid.
To get more details about INVALID package you can run a Validation that will reveal which contents are missing. In case all contents are present but the data is corrupted, validation will detect the corruption of SCCM ConfigMgr Content Library for that particular package.
5. How to validate INVALID package on SCCM ConfigMgr 2012 R2 content library using Content Library Explorer?
Select package which you wanted to validate and click on PACKAGE –> Validate & Click on OK
When you receive following error it’s better redistribute the package : An error occurred. Unable o validate the package. Please ensure you have access to the Distribution point provider. The package may need to be redistributed.
6. How to redistribute a package which shows INVALID in the Content Library Explorer Tool of SCCM 2012 ?
Select package which you wanted to validate and click on PACKAGE –> Redistribute & Click on OK
Once you redistribute the package the status of the package changes from INVALID to PENDING.
7. How to copy a content library file from Content Library Explorer SCCM 2012 Tool?
Click on the content file which you want to COPY. Click on EDIT –> Copy
The content library itself cannot be copied. Multiple files can be selected (using Ctrl + click or Shift + click), but multiple folders cannot.
Browse to the location where do you want to store the copied file from content Library. The specified items successfully copied.