ConfigMgr SCCM 2012 SP1 to R2 Upgrade Checklist. Finally, SCCM ConfigMgr 2012 R2 RTM version has been released. For more details about ConfigMgr 2012 R2 download here. Now start planning the upgrade from SCCM ConfigMgr 2012 Sp1 to SCCM 2012 R2.
The first step, I would perform is to download all the binaries including Windows ADK 8.1, Prerequisite Files for ConfigMgr R2 – CM2012 R2.
ConfigMgr SCCM 2012 SP1 to R2 Upgrade Checklist
SCCM ConfigMgr 2012 R2 CU1 has been released. Download and keep it ready to apply CU1 to post R2 installation. Download SCCM Configmgr 2012 R2 Cumulative Update CU1 – See more at: http://anoopcnair.com/2014/03/28/download-sccm-configmgr-2012-r2-cumulative-update-cu1/
Also go through the Known issues of SCCM 2012 (ConfigMgr) R2
If you’re wondering what are the added features, changes and bug fixes (R2 is basically a feature pack but in SCCM 2012 R2, probably we can see loads bug fixes also). Here is the direct links to technet library about new stuffs included in SCCM R2 Site Installation and the Configuration Manager Console , Sites and Hierarchies, Migration, Client Deployment and Operations, Software Deployment and Content Management and Monitoring and Reporting.
ConfigMgr SCCM 2012 R2 Upgrade Checklist
Make sure you’ve all prerequisites in place. More details about prerequisites are here.
- All the sites in the hierarchy must have ConfigMgr SCCM 2012 SP1. If you’ve not upgraded SCCM 2012 RTM to SP1. Have a look at the SP1 upgrade checklist here.
- Top to Down approach. Need to upgrade the CAS server (if you’ve one) first then primary and it’s secondary servers.
- No need to update remote Site System servers (remote DPs, MPs, SUPs). However, ensure that prerequisite for installed site system roles.
- Take backup of CAS as well as Primary servers. Ensure that you’ve a good copy (I would suggest to have 2 copies just in case) of backup.
- Uninstall Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (Windows ADK) 8.0 from SCCM ConfigMgr 2012 SP1 Site Servers.
- Download and Install Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (Windows ADK) 8.1on SCCM ConfigMgr 2012 SP1 Site Servers. Download Windows ADK 8.1 from here. .Net 4.5 Framework required for Windows ADK 8.1 . Restart may required after .Net 4.5 installation.
- Disable the site maintenance tasks “Backup Site Server”, “Delete Aged Client Operations” and “Delete Aged Discovery Data” on SCCM ConfigMgr sites.
- Ensure removed MP replicas and if you’re using SUP with NLB then reconfigure it.
- Run the prerequisite checker, 1 or 2 days prior to the actual upgrade. It would be easy to identify whether there is any issue with prerequisites or not.
- Download prerequisite files and redistributable files well before scheduled time of SCCM ConfigMgr 2012 R2 upgrade which are the required for ConfigMgr 2012 SP1.
- Check SQL version of DB server and confirm this supports SCCM 2012 R2.
- For existing SCCM ConfigMgr 2012 SP1 secondary SQL express DB, make sure that SQL Server 2012 Express cumulative update 2 (CU2) has applied before upgrade of ConfigMgr 2012 secondary site servers.
- Take a copy of SCCM ConfigMgr SP1 2012 DB and attach it to a test SQL server and run test the database upgrade.
- ConfigMgr SCCM 2012 R2 upgrade will automatically distribute update for default client installation package and new Windows ADK 8.1 boot image. So if you’ve loads of remote DPs in the environment then don’t get suprised with these new updates. Plan this well advance.
- Make sure SCCM ConfigMgr 2012 Site Servers including remote DPs, MPs, SUPs etc are restarted if this is required.
- Reconfigure replica MPs, NLB SUPs and re enable the DB maintanance task which are disabled.
- Make sure all the SCCM ConfigMgr 2012 consoles are running with R2 version.
- Plan and update/upgrade SCCM ConfigMgr 2012 SP1 clients to SCCM 2012 R2.
More details about checklist and considerations here :-