Veeam has released a new FREE tool for real time monitoring of Virtual Machines of Hyper-V host. This tool is called “Veeam Task Manager for Hyper-V“. The build-in windows task manager is not very useful in a Hyper-V host because the CPU and memory usage shown there does not show which virtual machines are using those resources. Veeam Task Manager for Hyper-V tool can provide you the performance details for Hyper-V host and VMs running on that host. In my personal SCCM lab this is very useful. Moreover this is a FREE tool with all the features.
You don’t have to install SCOM or SCVMM for basic performance monitoring tasks of you hyper-v host. However let me warn you this is not a replacement for SCOM or SCVMM. But I don’t find any requirement of installing SCOM and SCCVM for small lab setup.
Veeam Task Manager for Hyper-V installation took me less than 5 minutes. More over there is nothing to configure, just launch the tool and use it. I’ve launched the tool from my laptop and it connected to my Hyper-v host (SCCZ) as shown in the above picture. It also provides the basic inventory details of my hyper-v host. Veeam Hyper-V manager provides following information :-
- CPU and memory resources consumed by the parent partition on the host
- Amount of RAM installed on the host
- Number of CPU cores on the host and CPU frequency
- Number of VMs running on the host
We can also adjust the refresh speed of monitoring of the incoming resources. Using following option mentioned in the picture.
• High ==> Updates collected data every 3 seconds.
• Normal ==> Updates collected data every 9 seconds.
• Low ==> Updates collected data every 15 seconds