Something went Wrong with Camera Application in Window 10

Trying to explore new settings options of Windows 10 in this blog series. Today morning, when I started the camera application in Windows 10 laptop, it’s given me an error “Something Went Wrong“. I clicked “OK” button and the application itself got closed. So how to fix camera issue in Windows 10? Do’t worry, your webcam is intact in most of the cases 🙂

I checked “Setting” option, settings option gives an universal appeal on all Windows 10 devices (Desktop, Laptop and Mobile). Webcam settings (it’s truly part of privacy) options in Windows 10 is really granular, we can allow and deny webcam access of each individual application installed in the system.

Windows-10-Camera-1

How to Resolve Something Went Wrong issue with Web camera in Windows 10?

1) On your Windows 10 machine, Go to settings,  Click or tap on Privacy settings.

Windows-10-Camera-2

2) Select the “Webcam” option from the left side menu of Privacy settings. When you click on WEBCAM option, on right side pane, you can see the switches which can be used to control Web Camera behavior within Windows 10 (for each specific application).

Windows-10-Camera-3

3) On the right side pane on Webcam settings in Windows 10 device, you can disable the camera for all the applications with “one click“. Also, you can control the access of the camera for a particular application like Calendar, Camera, Lync, Mail, OneNote, People, Search, Skype etc… This is very useful settings, I felt this is very useful option when I use Lync and some other applications.

In my scenario, the CAMERA application didn’t had the access to use the WebCAM (in the above picture you can see that “Lets these apps use my webcam” option was turned off), hence Camera application got failed. Now, I’ve given access to Windows 10 camera application to use the my webcam. How to do that? Just press and drag the button from left to right.

Reboot-Triggered-2

4. Now, launch Camera application from Windows 10 start menu ! Yes, it’s started working.

Reboot-Triggered-3

Posted in: Windows 10

29 Comments

1. Louis says:

i have the same problem right now but it cant fixed

2. Krystl says:

Hi. When I go to Privacy > Camera, ‘Camera’ and ‘Skype’ apps don’t show up in the list of apps so I can’t ‘allow’ it to have access! Any idea how I can add them to the list?

3. rob says:

Same exact problem as Krystl^^^^

4. Ahmad says:

5. I am still encountering this problem.

6. I also get something went wrong and my camera will not work on WINDOWS 10

7. Paul B. says:

I can’t even get the Settings screen to appear without either an error code or a flash on the screen. Like something is preventing it from opening to even see what the settings are.

• Paul B. says:

I have since found a fix in Windows 10 that has re-enabled the Settings icon to function properly, but like so many others my laptop seems to believe I don’t even have a built in webcam installed. I have tried everything including removing the bezel to see if a wire had come loose on it’s own. I think the resolution is to find a new updated driver that I can actually install and be recognized. That’s what I really need is the driver update without jumping through all the hoops to get it.

8. seeyouatriver7 says:

same problems as Ahmad and Krystl, anybody have any idea how to fix it ?

9. ankit agarwal says:

facing same problem after updating windows tried everything .
    1.uninstalling \ reinstalling drivers
    2. updating BIOS
    3.downloading supporting app from windows, intel, lenovo

10. phani says:

give full control access to your camer folder it works

11. Ian says:

i also problem with camera on my windows 10 OS, my acer aspire v5-431 series.

12. lavro says:

This is SOOOO incredibly ridiculous! I simply don’t understand why NO one is addressing this issue seriously. I have done a ton of research and tried everything under the sun and them some just like others above. Obviously it is not just a Lenovo thing. It doesn’t matter with regard to privacy permission, drivers, etc..etc. There is either something wrong with the ‘Camera’ app or Windows 10 but this is bullshit!

13. Lorrie Bergeron says:

I agree with lavro. This is ridiculous. Dell even came out and replaced my camera and webcam. Mine can’t find the camera roll either. I’ve been messing with this for weeks. Microsoft has to get their act together.

14. Virginia Coles says:

I have a HP tablet brought Last year and I tried everything and I cannot get it to work.

15. dana says:

I’m facing this problem to guys…. anyone can solve this????

16. Alvin says:

My laptop camera display upside down image after installing windows 10! Its more than six months and I am still trying to get the image to display correctly. Anyone can help?

17. das says:

i upgraded a lenovo miix 2 8 tablet to win 10 from win 8 and the camera at first when trying to open, would go blue screen than restart. then i manually updated the driver and now when trying to open it gives me the “something went wrong” error. ive tried everything i could find searching but still no luck.

18. Jack says:

Camera isn’t one of the apps under “Let these apps use my webcam”. What should I do now?

19. same issue here (don’t get this crap with a Mac). I don’t have ‘webcam’ as a choice in ‘privacy settings’ but ‘camera’ is there. Camera settings are all set to ON. Still can’t see it.

20. okay. got mine fixed. I just did a software update of the driver under imaging devices. hallelujah!

21. Bajan Queen says:

I went to settings and then camera since i dont have webcam choice and turned off the camera and then turned it back on and it worked

22. can I change the camera settings? ( brightness, sharpness, white-off balance)