Well, it’s not officially AVD ARM based, instead, it’s a new Portal for AVD with a new Admin Experience. However, the AVD architecture for the 2020 spring update is changed significantly with the AVD spring release.
AVD New Arm Object Model
The following are the main changes in the high-level architecture with the Azure Virtual Desktop spring release (a.k.a AVD v2).
- AVD v1 – non Arm object model
- AVD v2 – ARM object model
AVD Tenant = Workspace
Now, with the spring update for AVD (a.k.a AVD v2), there is no concept of an AVD tenant. Instead, the Workspace is the new name for the AVD tenant.
A workspace is a logical grouping of application groups in AVD. Each AVD application group must be associated with a workspace for users to see the remote apps and desktops published to them.
Simplified AVD Architecture
The following are very high-level 4-tiers of AVD architecture.
- Azure Front Door
- AVD Control-Plane (Azure PaaS services as you can see in the blue box below)
- AVD Service Metadata (More details here)
- Workspace Names
- Host Pool Names
- Application Group Names
- User Principal Names (UPN)
- Virtual Machine and IaaS components
NOTE! – Azure Virtual Desktop stores global metadata information like tenant names, host pool names, app group names, and user principal names in a data center.
Warning! – This is not an accurate representation of the architecture – Please refer to Microsoft docs for a more accurate representation
AVD – Non-Regional Service
Yes AVD non-regional service, but as you know there are some Azure regional dependencies shown below.
- AVD Control-planes are getting deployed globally soon.
- Microsoft controls the selection of AVD control planes.
- AVD Service Metadata locations are not available globally when I write this post.
- The customer controls the selection of the AVD service metadata service region.
- VMs and other IaaS components are owned by the customer and free to use in the Azure region as per the business requirement.
- The customer controls the selection of the AVD IaaS VMs and other components.
More details Azure Services – AVD – https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/global-infrastructure/services/?products=virtual-desktop
New Admin Experience for AVD v2
- Windows Virtual Desktop technical deployment (ARM-based model) walkthrough
- WVD Firewall Proxy Policies
- More WVD Guides – https://www.anoopcnair.com/Avd/