Let’s understand the best way to uninstall SCCM client (How to Remove ConfigMgr Client) from a Windows 10 device. I think this is the most challenging part for many ConfigMgr Admins. Because there are different ways to uninstall or remove the ConfigMgr client. We will also see how to remove device records from the SQL database.
The following is one of the top viewed posts – How to Uninstall Remove SCCM Client using CCMClean exe | ConfigMgr. The CCMCean tool is anymore supported by Microsoft but I could see it still works. I don’t recommend uninstalling the ConfigMgr client using the CCMClean tool even though it will work (shh – I still believe that this tool removes the client more cleanly).
Don’t worry about the source files of ConfigMgr Client software. I will share the details of source file locations in the following section of this post. The client agent source files can be obtained from both the server and the client-side.
Remove ConfigMgr Client from Database
Before getting into the client software removal process, let’s understand how to remove ConfigMgr client from SCCM SQL Database?.
Removing the ConfigMgr client software from Windows 10 computers does not remove the clients from the site database. The clients that are not updated are automatically purged from the site database after a period of time depending on maintenance tasks /clean-up activities.
When you want to remove these clients immediately from the SMS site database, use the SCCM Administrator console to delete them.
- Navigate to \Assets and Compliance\Overview\Devices.
- Select the device record you want to delete.
- Click on the Delete button.
- Click DELETE button from Confirm Deletion Window.
Source File Location
As I mentioned above, The client agent source files can be obtained from both the server and the client-side. The following is the location of the client source files C:\Windows\ccmsetup. You can use the CCMSetup.exe file from the Windows 10 devices. You can also get the latest Configuration Manager source files from the primary server share folder as well.
- Client Side (Windows 10) – C:\Windows\ccmsetup
- Server Side – \\ServerName\sms_COD\Client
- Replace Servername with your primary server FQDN.
- Replace COD with ConfigMgr site code.
Uninstall ConfigMgr Client
The deletion of a device record from Configuration Manager console won’t remove the client agent software from Windows 10 devices. So to remove or cleanup the end to end configurations of client software using the following command line tool.
- Open a Windows command prompt with the administrator’s permission.
- Change the folder to the location as mentioned above
- Run the following command cd %windir%\ccmsetup
- Run the following command: CCMSetup.exe /uninstall
The SCCM client uninstallation process using CCMSetup.exe displays no results on the screen. However, you can watch the progress of the uninstall by reading the CCMSetup.log file using the CMTrace tool.
- Location of the log file: %windir%\ccmsetup\logs\CCMSetup.log
You can try to uninstall or remove ConfigMgr Client using the CCMClean.exe tool. This is also a command-line tool. I have a more detailed explanation about the CCMClean tool in the following post. How to Uninstall Remove SCCM Client using CCMClean exe | ConfigMgr.
We can run the CCMSetup.exe or CCMClean.exe on multiple remote machines using PSEXEC.exe. You should have administrative privileges on that remote machine.
- How to Uninstall Remove SCCM Client using CCMClean exe | ConfigMgr
- SCCM OneTrace Log Viewer to Replace CMTrace
- Uninstall the client