With Windows Phone 8.1 Extension (SCCM V Pack) release, we can use “disable copy paste” feature with SCCM ConfigMgr 2012. In this post, we’re going to see how to disable COPY – PASTE feature in Windows Phone 8.1 using SCCM / ConfigMgr 2012 R2 CU3 + Microsoft Intune integration. This feature will be useful for real world scenarios when an Organization wants to disable the copy paste feature from their cooperate mobile devices. Following steps are performed from SCCM 2012 R2 CU3 console and Windows Phone 8.1 !
How to Deploy Copy Paste Disable policy to Mobile Devices ?
Before start creating Configuration Item (CI), I would like to show the COPY and PASTE option (feature) on my Windows Phone 8.1 device. I’ve copied a message from native massaging application and pasted it in a mailing application.
Windows Phone 8.1 device allowed me to copy the message and paste (notice the paste icon displayed in the following picture) the message it into mail application.
1. Create New Configuration Item from SCCM 2012 console Assets and Compliance workspace. Specify the type of Configuration Item that you want to create. Select Mobile Device.
3. On the DEVICE page, select configuration device settings –> COPY and PASTE and select DISABLE. Click NEXT.
4. On the Platform applicability page (checkout the heading – Review platform exclusion for this configuration item) check which are the unsupported platform for this COPY and PASTE settings. This setting / policy works ONLY for Windows Phone 8.1. Probably this will change in future releases of Intune and SCCM ! Click NEXT.
The following settings are not supported by all the supported platforms that you specified. These settings will not be assessed for compliance on the unsupported platforms. Only supported platform is Windows Phone 8.1 !
Unsupported Platforms – Copy Paste :: All Windows Mobile 6.1;All Windows Mobile 6.5;All Nokia Symbian;All Windows Phone 8.0;iOS 5;iOS 6;iOS 7;All Windows RT;All x86 Windows 8.1;All x64 Windows 8.1;All Windows RT 8.1;Android 4.0;Android 4.1;Android 4.2;
5. The create Configuration Item Wizard completed successfully.
6. Create Configuration Baseline to deploy above created Configuration Item “Disable COPY PASTE“. Add the above created Configuration Item ==> disable COPY PASTE. Click OK. Now we’ve created Configuration Baseline.
7. Now we need to deploy the Configuration Baseline to Windows Phone 8.1 Devices.
8. In the deployment windows, select the Remediation option. Also select the collection which we want to target for this Configuration Baseline deployment.
Selected the option “Remediate non-complaint rules when supported” and Collection “All Windows Phone Devices“
9. I’ve waited enough time ( rather performed a shortcut to apply the Mobile Device policy “As Soon As Possible” on the windows phone devices) and now we’ve “Disable COPY and PASTE” policy deployed onto my Windows Phone 8.1 and it was non-complaint device and Intune and SCCM remediated it.
In the following example what I’m going to try below is copy the link from Internet Explorer. Notice that COPY is not disabled.
10. On the following, you can see that I’m trying to PASTE the link which I’ve copied from above website. However the PASTE option is DISABLED. See the following picture. There is no paste button available now. Copy Paste is disabled for all the applications in Windows Phone 8.1.