How Important to have a Correct Backup Solution. Backup Academy is the best place to get in if you’re dealing with virtualization and backup of VMs. Recently, Rick Vanover posted an excellent presentation and demo video in backup academy about “How to do a backup wrong: Top mistakes”.
Does this topic sound different? Usually, we hear best practices of backup, etc from experts like Rick. With this video, he came up with an excellent topic with all his 15 years of experience in IT(virtualization). Watch this video from here.
How Important to have a Correct Backup Solution
The content of the video is really interesting and utmost useful if you’re into backup solutions. This video is very useful for all IT pros who are using Virtual servers for hosting their application also. This would help to understand the gotchas of VM backups.
In this post, I’ll try to highlight some topics which I found very useful. All my SCCM/ConfigMgr servers are already virtualized (that could be the case for you as well) so it’s very important to understand VM backup-related topics also.
1) Backup Products should be matched with a platform. VMware, vSphere and Hyper-V supportability have big impact.
2) Platforms and Design MUST include domain of failure in design of backup for VMs.
3) Files, Application Data and Expectations – Files may not be enough to satisfy restore requirements. Special applications like SCCM and email systems may require special attention while taking backup. Otherwise the recovery or restore won’t work as expected.
4) Consistency Levels – Different products on different platforms may offer different consistency levels in backup. VSS is introduced in Windows and that reduced loads of overheads of application level backup as well.
5) Missing VMs from Backup – with growing virtualization makes “missing VMs” worse. Automatic way of VMs to backup solution.
6) Error and Alert Notification – Backup failure notifications and alerts. The right person gets the alerts via Email or pager. This is important the alerts are addressed properly and resolved in time.Fine tune the alerts and only required alerts to be send across.
7) Capacity Calculations – Designing a backup solution takes into account a number of metrics. DE duplication can help avoid doing backups wrong windows Server 2012 can help avoid shortages.
8) Backup Frequency and Avoid Taking the wrong type of backup.
9) It’s always better to keep Multiple copies of backup.
10) Don’t over complicate Backup solutions with iSCSI in-guest, Raw Devices Mapping (RDM) etc..