11 Key Points should be noticed with KB 2905002 Hotfix Update. Most of the ConfigMgr 2012 R2 customers were impacted by OSD slow download issue. You can see this issue if you’ve configured Task Sequence to download and run.
More details about SCCM 2012 OSD slowness issue are explained in the following post-ConfigMgr 2012 R2 Issue OSD WinPE File Copying Very Slow.
11 Key Points should be noticed with KB 2905002 Hotfix Update
Microsoft had released a hotfix for the slowness issue. More details kb 2905002 is here. I had a chance to install this hotfix. Following are 11 key points that I’ve noticed.
- Installation wizard is pretty similar to Cumulative Update (CU).
- No database update and Site Reset.
- Creates 3 deployment packages. Client update, Console and site server update.
- This hotfix doesn’t change Boot images (Default and Custom) and Client package. Boot images and Default client package have NOT been updated.
- It seems Offline media creation DLL file got updated Createtsmediaadm.dll to version 5.0.7958.1101
- ConfigMgr SCCM 2012 R2 Task Sequence engine DLL also got updated to 5.0.7958.1101
- Task Sequence Engine got updated to 5.0.7958.1101 after applying client fix configmgr2012ac-r2-kb2905002-x64.msp
- Post ConfigMgr SCCM 2012 R2 hotfix client version got updated from 5.0.7958.1000 to 5.0.7958.1101
- After applying console fix configmgr2012adminui-r2-kb2905002-i386.msp. The console version remains same as of SCCM ConfigMgr 2012 R2 RTM 5.0.7958.1000.
MSI (s) (CC:10) [07:15:17:280]: Windows Installer reconfigured the product. Product Name: System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager Console. Product Version: 5.00.7958.1000. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation. Reconfiguration success or error status: 0.
- SCUP update 2905002.cab is also included with kb-2905002 fix.
- Only one client components got updated. As you can see in the below table only TS engine and TS components got updated.
|CCM Notification Agent||5.0.7958.1000|
|CCM Policy Agent||5.0.7958.1000|
|CCM Status and Eventing Agent||5.0.7958.1000|
|Compliance and Settings Management||5.0.7958.1000|
|Hardware Inventory Agent||5.0.7958.1000|
|Maintenance Task Coordinator||5.0.7958.1000|
|Operating System Deployment Component||5.0.7958.1000|
|Out Of Band Management Agent||5.0.7958.1000|
|Power Management Agent||5.0.7958.1000|
|Remote Tools Agent||5.0.7958.1000|
|Software Distribution Agent||5.0.7958.1000|
|Software Inventory Agent||5.0.7958.1000|
|Software Metering Agent||5.0.7958.1000|
|Software Update Agent||5.0.7958.1000|
|Source List Update Agent||5.0.7958.1000|
|Task Sequence Components||5.0.7958.1101|
Free SCCM Training Part 1 | 17 Hours Of Latest Technical Content | ConfigMgr Lab HTMD Blog (anoopcnair.com)
Anoop is Microsoft MVP! He is a Solution Architect in enterprise client management with more than 20 years of experience (calculation done in 2021) in IT. He is a blogger, Speaker, and Local User Group HTMD Community leader. His main focus is on Device Management technologies like SCCM 2012, Current Branch, and Intune. E writes about ConfigMgr, Windows 11, Windows 10, Azure AD, Microsoft Intune, Windows 365, AVD, etc…