Well, it’s not officially WVD v2, instead, it’s new Portal for WVD with new Admin Experience. However, the WVD architecture for the 2020 spring update is changed significantly with the WVD spring release.
WVD New Arm Object Model
The following are the main changes in the high-level architecture with Windows Virtual Desktop spring release (a.k.a WVD v2).
- WVD v1 – non Arm object model
- WVD v2 – ARM object model
WVD Tenant = Workspace
Now, with spring update for WVD (a.k.a WVD v2), there is no concept of WVD tenant. Instead, the Workspace is the new name for the WVD tenant.
A workspace is a logical grouping of application groups in WVD. Each WVD application group must be associated with a workspace for users to see the remote apps and desktops published to them.
Simplified WVD Architecture
The following are very high-level 4-tiers of WVD architecture.
- Azure Front Door
- WVD Control-Plane (Azure PaaS services as you can see in the blue box below)
- WVD Service Metadata (More details here)
- Workspace Names
- Host Pool Names
- Application Group Names
- User Principal Names (UPN)
- Virtual Machine and IaaS components
NOTE! – Windows Virtual Desktop stores global metadata information like tenant names, host pool names, app group names, and user principal names in a datacenter.
Warning! – This is not the accurate representation of the architecture – Please refer to Microsoft docs for a more accurate representation
WVD – Non-Regional Service
Yes WVD non-regional service, but as you know there are some Azure regional dependencies shown below.
- WVD Control-planes are getting deployed globally soon.
- Microsoft controls the selection of WVD control-planes.
- WVD Service Metadata locations are not available globally when I write this post.
- The customer controls the selection of the WVD service metadata service region.
- VMs and other IaaS components are owned by the customer and free to use the Azure region as per the business requirement.
- The customer controls the selection of the WVD IaaS VMs and other components.
More details Azure Services – WVD – https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/global-infrastructure/services/?products=virtual-desktop