Let’s understand the ConfigMgr Client Action called Application Deployment Evaluation Cycle in a bit more detail. The users/admins can initiate the app deployment evaluation cycle to speed up the application evaluation as part of troubleshooting scenarios from Windows 10 clients and from the admin console. In this post, I will cover the details of this action on the client-side.
ConfigMgr Client Component Status details are also important for troubleshooting. There are three different status details are available for each component of the client. Those are installed, disabled, and enabled.
Let’s not get confused between ConfigMgr Client App and SCCM Software Center. Both are different and client actions are available with ConfigMgr Client App (a.k.a Configuration Manager Application) available in the control panel.
Configuration Manager Client Actions
There are 8 (eight) client actions available in Configuration Manager client application properties as of ConfigMgr 2010 version. You can also initiate any of the following actions from a Configuration Manager client computer by selecting any one of the actions from the below list.
- Application Deployment Evaluation Cycle
- Discovery Data Collection Cycle
- Hardware Inventory Cycle
- Machine Policy Retrieval & Evaluation Cycle
- Software Updates Deployment Evaluation Cycle
- Software Updates Scan Cycle
- User Policy Retrieval & Evaluation Cycle
- Windows Installer Source List Update Cycle
Application Deployment Evaluation Cycle
Let’s understand more details about Application Deployment Evaluation Cycle action. When do you want to initiate this action? And what are the actions that will get initiated when you trigger this?
- You can launch the client app from any computer that has an SCCM client installed.
- Open Command Prompt
- Run the following command – Control smscfgrc
- Click on the Actions tab
- Select Application Deployment Evaluation Cycle
- Click on OK from the Application Deployment Evaluation Cycle popup window
This SCCM client action Application Deployment Evaluation Cycle “immediately” triggers the application deployment evaluation process. The high-level details of the background processes are explained below:
- CI agent component gets triggered
- Start analyzing the required apps on the Windows 10 device
- DCM agent component gets triggered
- Application policies will be evaluated for SYSTEM.
- Any missing required apps will be installed again?
- Expression Solver component gets triggered
- CWMIDiscoverySource::DiscoverResource – URI: (RegSetting_95ccb335-6ac8-440f-aba0-05d45b5c07c8) returned an object with a non-null value
- UDA Provider via DCMWMI Provider gets triggered
- Query supplied is: select * from CCM_File_Setting where ((FileSystemRedirectionMode = 1 AND Name = “firefox.exe”) AND Path = “C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\”)
- DCM Reporting component gets triggered
- App Discovery component gets triggered
- Entering ExecQueryAsync for query “select * from CCM_AppDeliveryType where (AppDeliveryTypeId = “ScopeId_1074285A-82C7-474F-B242-1EE20F8C3CE5/DeploymentType_ee452e08-d889-4842-ac6f-de3a4c01de67″ AND Revision = 1)”
Performing detection of app deployment type Edge X86 Default Deployment Type(ScopeId_1074285A-82C7-474F-B242-1EE20F8C3CE5/DeploymentType_ee452e08-d889-4842-ac6f-de3a4c01de67, revision 1) for system.
Logs Recorded Actions
Let’s check the client logs to understand where all the actions got triggered. The following logs got updated and recorded new entries as part of the Application Deployment Evaluation Cycle. More details about SCCM clients logs are available here.
- Location -> C:\Windows\CCM\Logs