How to Verify WMI Permissions Required for ConfigMgr SCCM Console Access

We will see how we can check and confirm the WMI permissions Required for SCCM / ConfigMgr console access. Also, some very useful links which would help you in console-related troubleshooting.

Log file to look into SMSADMINUI.log. Location -> \Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\AdminConsole\AdminUILog

  • Run wmimgmt.msc from the primary site server.
  • Go to WMI control –> properties
WMI
How to Verify WMI Permissions Required for ConfigMgr SCCM Console Access
  • In Security tab, expand root, and click SMS
WMI
How to Verify WMI Permissions Required for ConfigMgr SCCM Console Access
  • Click security in the results pane to see the permission
WMI
How to Verify WMI Permissions Required for ConfigMgr SCCM Console Access
  • Click advanced, click SMS Admin, then view-edit
image
How to Verify WMI Permissions Required for ConfigMgr SCCM Console Access
  • If the SMS Admins group does not have Enable Account and Remote Enable permission, grant the permission
image
How to Verify WMI Permissions Required for ConfigMgr SCCM Console Access
  • Repeat this procedure for other groups used in addition to SMS Admins

Author

Anoop is Microsoft MVP! He is a Solution Architect in enterprise client management with more than 20 years of experience (calculation done in 2021) in IT. He is a blogger, Speaker, and Local User Group HTMD Community leader. His main focus is on Device Management technologies like SCCM 2012, Current Branch, and Intune. E writes about ConfigMgr, Windows 11, Windows 10, Azure AD, Microsoft Intune, Windows 365, AVD, etc…

8 thoughts on “How to Verify WMI Permissions Required for ConfigMgr SCCM Console Access”

  1. Sccm primary site join to aaa.local and Added a security group to this sms admin local group, however the members (members comprise of aaa.local and bb. aaa.local) in that security group but members from bb.aaa.local are unable to access the console too. Any clue?

    Reply
  2. It use to be working well, however we have restore the wsus dbs and that caused the issue.

    Yes aaa and bbb is a parent-child domain.

    Reply
  3. We have tried to access from the same laptop that aaa.local users were able to access. But not for user from bbb.aaa.local

    Reply
  4. Please note that if the June 2022 monthly patches were applied you might see “Access is Denied” or “You have typed invalid credentials” from Get-WmiObject in WinRE based systems. Using wbemtest you might see “0x8007005” “Access is denied” message. (i.e. WinRE -> MECM query)

    See the following change to DCOM protection that went life with June’s patches:

    https://msrc.microsoft.com/update-guide/vulnerability/CVE-2021-26414

    “…The security updates released on June 8, 2021 enable RPC_C_AUTHN_LEVEL_PKT_INTEGRITY on DCOM clients by default and provide full protection after manually setting RequireIntegrityActivationAuthenticationLevel = 1 on DCOM servers using the steps in Managing changes for Windows DCOM Server Security Feature Bypass (CVE-2021-26414). Note that a reboot is required after making any changes to the RequireIntegrityActivationAuthenticationLevel registry key. Microsoft recommends enabling full protection as soon as possible to identify any OS and application intermobility issues between Windows and non-Windows operating systems and applications.

    With the June 14, 2022 security updates, RPC_C_AUTHN_LEVEL_PKT_INTEGRITY on DCOM servers is now enabled by default. Customer who need to do so can still disable it by using the RequireIntegrityActivationAuthenticationLevel registry key.”

    Reply
  5. While the workaround (of setting RequireIntegrityActivationAuthenticationLevel = 1) did resolve the issue. A more permanent fix is to uninstall the ADK and install the latest ADK which includes the new WinRM image w the fix/patch already baked in.

    Reply
  6. I had the same issues launching the SCCM console on a particular machine and spent countless hours trying to fix until I came across this article
    In one posting here someone talks about June 2022 updates which enabled RPC_C_AUTHN_LEVEL_PKT_INTEGRITY on DCOM clients .
    What I did was running the latest July updates on this machine and the problem went away. The SCCM console is fully operational for me now. Thank you very much to all of you who commented on this post.

    Reply

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.