I have not faced any blocking issue while upgrading SCCM to the latest version. Let’s see ConfigMgr Update Issue The SMS Provider Reported an Error. And I share my experience with this issue and fix it for the same.
While upgrading to the latest version of Configuration Manager, I received the following error.
“The SMS Provider Reported an Error”
Give you an overview of my infrastructure. I have the following components:
- SCCM Primary server
- Remote SQL Server
- SMS Provider is installed on the Primary server
SMS Provider Error
I got the above-mentioned error when I was performing the upgrade of SCCM 1910 to 2002. The installation of ConfigMgr 2002 was going through the “Installation” phase. I was monitoring the progress of installation from the Monitoring workspace.
From: Navigate to – \Monitoring\Overview\Updates and Servicing Status
I tried to look into SMSPROV.log “Records WMI provider access to the site database.” from out SCCM Logs. I couldn’t find much useful information apart from some connectivity errors. The only error I was able to find was SQL Connectivity Errors.
I tried to start the console again and tried to connect to the database. But, the console connection to ConfigMgr Database is failed. What is next?
FIX – The SMS Provider Reported an Error
The fix to the SMS provider error in my scenario was to restart the problematic primary server. After the restart, the magic happened.
- After the restart of the problematic primary server, the ConfigMgr 2002 connection to the Database was ok. And working fine.
- SCCM 2002 installation continued from where it stopped because of an SMS provider error.
- SCCM 2002 Installation Step By Step Guide | MEMCM | ConfigMgr
- How to Perform ConfigMgr Site Reset | Fix Weird Issues | SCCM