Let’s learn how to Create System Management Container & provide full control permissions. System Management is the container in the Active Directory to manage devices using ConfigMgr | SCCM.
System Management Container
ConfigMgr uses a System Management Container to publish Management Point & Boundary details. ConfigMgr clients connect & query system management container to select the best MP available.
NOTE! – More details about Publishing site data for SCCM.
Let’s see what the prerequisites are for System Management Container.
- Login with user permission to Create All Child Objects permission on the System container for each domain.
- Create this container one time in each domain forest with a primary or secondary site server that will publish data to Active Directory.
- Grant FULL Control permissions to the computer account of each primary and secondary site server
Create System Management Container
Let’s see how to create a system management container.
- Run ADSI Edit (adsiedit.msc)
- Right Click on the ADSI Edit node from the MMC console and click on Connect to…
Enter the site server’s Domain or Domain server details – Select or type a domain or server: (Server | Domain [: port]). Click OK
- Expand Domain -> expand.
- Right-click CN=System.
- Select New, and then choose Object.
In the Create Object dialog box, choose Container, and then select Next
In the Value box, enter System Management, and then select Next to continue
Click on the Finish button
Assign Permission for System Management Container
You have created the System Management container. Now let’s assign permissions to primary and secondary server computer accounts. Create System Management Container for SCCM and Assign Permissions.
Right-click CN=System Management, and then choose Properties.
Select the Security tab from System Management Properties.
- Click on Add button.
- Enter the site server computer account in the box below “Enter the object names to select.”
- Click on Object Types.
Select Computers and Click OK
Click on OK to continue with the selection.
- Select the Site System Computer account
- Select the Full Control permission
- Repeat this step for all the site servers in this domain
- Click on the Advanced button
Select the site server’s computer account.
Select the Edit button.
Select the drop-down option called “This object and all descendant objects” from Applies to option. Click OK to continue.
Click OK & OK to finish.
Results – Create System Management Container for SCCM | ConfigMgr
You have created a System Management container and provided full control permission to site system servers.
Anoop C Nair is Microsoft MVP! He is a Device Management Admin with more than 20 years of experience (calculation done in 2021) in IT. He is Blogger, Speaker, and Local User Group HTMD Community leader. His main focus is on Device Management technologies like SCCM 2012, Current Branch, and Intune. He writes about ConfigMgr, Windows 11, Windows 10, Azure AD, Microsoft Intune, Windows 365, AVD, etc.