Let’s understand how to fix ConfigMgr Power BI Report Unexpected Error. I was not able to connect Power BI Report server from the Power BI desktop app. Also, not able to connect to the Power BI Reporting server.
I have already completed the integration with Power BI Reporting Server and SCCM. However, I was not able to access the reporting server URL(s). I got confused with two URLs available in SQL Reporting Server Configuration Manager. The URL from the web service URL tab has worked fine. But that was not Power BI reports from the look of it.
If you have not read Mohan’s post about How to Build Power BI Live Dashboard Integration with SCCM | ConfigMgr? You should read that post if you want to know more about Power BI SCCM Dashboard implementation details. There is a video tutorial also to help with the Power BI Dashboard demo.
The following screenshots are from the Power BI Desktop app when I tried to connect to the Power BI reporting server. Also, tried to launch the Reports URL (http://sqlmemcm/Reports/) from the browser and that didn’t work as well.
I tried two different URLs (more details in the troubleshooting section below) mentioned in Reporting Server Configuration Manager to connect to the Power BI reporting server, but both failed.
Let’s find out a fix for these issues and understand what is missing here. I was getting the following error when I tried to connect to Power BI Report Server.
NOTE! – You must be wondering where I got the URL details? Read on, you will come to know!
- Unexpected Error Encountered
- Tried to open the following URL “http://sqlmemcm/ReportServer1/”
- Another error I got is “We couldn’t find a PowerBI Report Server at this address“
What I learned from the troubleshooting is that don’t use the URL given in the Web Service URL (This is reporting server URL) tab from Reporting Server Configuration Manager. There is a separate URL that can be used for accessing the reports.
If you use the following URL to connect to the Power BI server from the Power BI Desktop app, it will fail with the error “We couldn’t find a PowerBI Report Server at this address”.
- To connect to Power BI Server, you need to go to the Web Portal URL from the Reporting Server Configuration Manager and copy the URL from there.
- I tried to copy and use the same URL in the Power BI Desktop portal but it failed with the error “Unexpected Error Encountered“
- This means that we are not able to connect to Power BI Server and Power BI Reports are not available.
Previously, the Reports virtual directory and URL were used for the SSRS reports. As explained in the ConfigMgr Integrate Power BI Reporting Server with SCCM post, we have to uninstall the SSRS, etc…
So, I thought of changing the name of the virtual directory and giving a new name to the virtual directory.
- Open “Reporting Server Configuration Manager”
- Click on the Web Portal URL tab
- Change the Virtual Directory Name to Reports1
- Click APPLY button to confirm the changes
- Wait until it confirms everything is OK.
- Click on the URL to confirm that Power BI reports are getting opened.
- http://sqlmemcm/Reports1/ where sqlmemcm is the Power BI Reporting server name.
- Try to connect to Power BI Report Server with the new Reports URL
- Successfully Connected to SCCM Default Reports from Power BI Desktop application
Anoop is Microsoft MVP! He is a Solution Architect in enterprise client management with more than 20 years of experience (calculation done in 2021) in IT. He is a blogger, Speaker, and Local User Group HTMD Community leader. His main focus is on Device Management technologies like SCCM 2012, Current Branch, and Intune. E writes about ConfigMgr, Windows 11, Windows 10, Azure AD, Microsoft Intune, Windows 365, AVD, etc…