Let’s find out a fix to SCCM Scan Failed to Add Update Source for WUAgent. We deployed patches to Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 using SCCM and waited till it hits the deadline
Like any other error, this issue is a bit particular because it’s not generating only a single line error with a generic code but two different errors along with two different error codes.
Screenshot given below:
- At the place of jumping directly to the solution let’s understand the root cause for better understanding.
- The screenshot was taken from WUHandler.log at the time of troubleshooting.
For more details on how to collect or read SCCM logs please refer article below: – https://www.anoopcnair.com/sccm-logs-files-configmgr-memcm/
We deployed patches to Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 using SCCM and waited till it hits the deadline. Deadline crossed and maintenance windows over. Nothing triggered.
When started troubleshooting we found that file that applies group policy or SCCM policy is showing the old date of modification. But it should look like below and should have a recent date and time.
Solution – Scan Failed to Add Update Source for WUAgent
- Go to below path:C:\Windows\System32\GroupPolicy\Machine
- Rename the Registry.pol file.
- Take a copy of this file before you rename it.
- Now restart CCMEXEC- SMS Agent Host service and trigger SCAN
- After this step we started reading WUAhandler:
Scan completed successfully and after triggering “Software Update Deployment Evaluation Cycle” patches exposed in Software Center.
Installed, Rebooted. Server is Compliant. Happy Learning.
You can also try renaming Software Distribution Folder if you are still seeing any errors in WUAHandler. Steps below:
- Start an elevated command prompt.
- Run the following commands hitting enter after each line:
net stop wuauserv
ren SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
net start wuauserv
Disclaimer – The information provided on the site is for general informational purposes only. All information on the site is provided in good faith, however, we make no representation or warranty of any kind, express or implied regarding the accuracy, adequacy, validity, reliability, availability or completeness of any information on the website.