Let’s see how to locate device with Intune. Starting with Service Release 2104, Microsoft Intune has a new locate device remote action to get the geographical location for Windows 10 devices. The locate device remote action for Windows 10 devices can get the location for managed Windows 10 from the Intune portal (a.k.a Endpoint Manager portal) on a map.
The Locate device action is supported for iOS/iPadOS or Windows devices, more useful to locate lost or stolen iOS/iPadOS or Windows devices with Intune. As per Microsoft, to get the location of iOS/iPadOS 9.3 and later (These devices must be in supervised mode. Before you use this action, be sure the device is in lost mode.)
Prerequisites For Locate Device Action
The supported devices need to meet requirements as below –
👉 Get Details about Windows 10 Version Numbers Build Numbers Major Minor Build Rev
- iOS/iPadOS 9.3 and later (These devices must be in supervised mode. Before you use this action, be sure the device is in lost mode.)
- Windows 10 version 20H2 (10.0.19042.789) or later
- Windows 10 version 2004 (10.0.19041.789) or later
- Windows 10 version 1909 (10.0.18363.1350) or later
- Windows 10 version 1809 (10.0.17763.1728) or later
This feature isn’t supported for the following systems:
- Windows Phone
Locate Device From Intune Portal
To see the locate device action for Windows 10 device, let’s follow the below steps –
- Sign in to the Microsoft Endpoint Manager admin center.
- Select Devices, and then select Windows.
Note – From the list of devices you manage, you can choose a Windows or iOS/iPadOS device.
- Under Windows devices, From the list of devices you manage, Select the Windows device to get the location on a map.
Important – Location services must be enabled on devices for this remote action to work. If Intune is unable to fetch the device’s location and the user has set a default location in device settings, it will display the default location.
- Under device, select 3 dots … on the right side and click Locate device.
- You will get a confirmation dialog box with the following message. Click on Yes to request device location for the selected device.
- As soon you triggered the request, It will appear Locate device pending. The location request will finish shortly.
- After the device is located, its location is shown in Locate device.
In the upper-right corner of a view, the Road map displays the default road map view. This is the default map type. The view toolbar lets you zoom in (+) and zoom out (-). You can also show the toolbar in other types of views look the way you want.
- If you go back to the device, you can also see the status complete under Device action status. If the locate device action is completed. Once received location data, the location data is visible in Intune for 24 hours.
- Locate device remote action for Windows 10 devices – Microsoft Intune
- Locate lost or stolen iOS/iPadOS or Windows devices with Intune