Let’s understand the process of the ConfigMgr Client Push Installation Method. The installation of the client is one of the important parts of the ConfigMgr manager environment. So, client push is the easiest method to install the client.
As you know, the client installation strategy is very important for every organization. The following are the client installation methods. But, I prefer the Logon script installation method using Jason Sandys script.
- Client push installation (From SCCM Console)
- Software update point-based installation (GPO GPEDIT.MSC)
- Group policy installation (GPO – GPEDIT.MSC)
- Using Microsoft Intune (Intune/Azure Console)
- Package and program installation (SCCM Console)
- OSD Task Sequence (SCCM Console)
- Logon script installation (AD)
- Workgroup computers (Manual)
- Internet-based client management (SCCM/Manually ?)
- Provision client installation properties (GPO)
- Manual installation (Manual via command prompt?)
Personally, I like the Client Push Installation method and that is what we are going to learn through this post. Let’s jump into the step by step guide to ConfigMgr Client push installation method.
- Admin$ share should present
- Admin$ SMB access to Windows 10 devices.
- Client Push Account should have administrator access on Windows 10 client device
- Or the SCCM site server should be part of the Administrators group on the Windows 10 device.
- Devices should be discovered and Device record should be available in SCCM console.
- Make sure Client Push firewall ports and defender settings are ok before the start of the following process.
- Connectivity to Management Point.
NOTE! – Configuration Manager tries to install the client on all discovered resources. It retries any failures for up to seven days.
Step #1 – Initiate Client Install
- Right-click on one of the devices or device collections. Install ConfigMgr Client Using ClientPush Installation Method.
- Select Install Client.
- Click the Next button.
- Select the two options below to install the client on Windows 10 device.
- Enable the option called Always install SCCM client.
- Repair or upgrade it if the client is already installed.
- Uninstall the SCCM client before installing its option is to have clean installation of the client.
- Click Next, Next, and Close to complete the ConfigMgr Client Push Installation Wizard.
Server Side Log CCM.log
- Let’s check CCM.log from site server F:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\Logs.
- The following are the important log file entries.
- Search for the following entry in ccm.log Started service “ccmsetup” on machine “HTMDWin10.htmd.com”.
- Once you have this entry for the client then everything is OK from the server-side.
---> Trying each entry in the SMS Client Remote Installation account list ---> Warning: no remote client installation account found ---> Attempting to connect to administrative share '\HTMDWin10.htmd.com\admin$' using machine account. ---> Connected to administrative share on machine HTMDWin10.htmd.com ---> Trying the 'best-shot' account which worked for previous CCRs (index = 0xFFFF) ---> Attempting to make IPC connection to share <\HTMDWin10.htmd.com\IPC$> ---> Searching for SMSClientInstall.* under '\HTMDWin10.htmd.com\admin$\' ---> System OS version string "10.0.19041" converted to 10.00 ---> Unable to connect to WMI (root\ccm) on remote machine "HTMDWin10.htmd.com", error = 0x8004100e. $$<06-27-2020 14:09:29.685+00> ---> Creating \ VerifyingCopying existence of destination directory \HTMDWin10.htmd.com\admin$\ccmsetup.~ ---> Copying client files to \HTMDWin10.htmd.com\admin$\ccmsetup.~ ---> Copying file "F:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\bin\I386\MobileClient.tcf" to "MobileClient.tcf" ---> Copying file "F:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\bin\I386\ccmsetup.exe" to "ccmsetup.exe" ---> Created service "ccmsetup" on machine "HTMDWin10.htmd.com". Submitted request successfully Getting a new request from queue "Incoming" after 100 millisecond delay. \Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\inboxes\ccr.box" for queue "Incoming", (30 minute backup timeout). ---> Started service "ccmsetup" on machine "HTMDWin10.htmd.com". ---> Deleting SMS Client Install Lock File '\HTMDWin10.htmd.com\admin$\SMSClientInstall.HT1 Execute query exec [sp_CP_SetLastErrorCode] ---> Completed request "2097152002", machine name "HTMDWIN10". Deleted request "2097152002", machine name "HTMDWIN10" Execute query exec [sp_CP_SetPushRequestMachineStatus] 2097152002 Execute query exec [sp_CP_SetLatest] 2097152002
Client-Side Log File – CCMSetup.Log & Client.MSI
- Let’s check the Log Files from the client-side related to the Client Push method.
- Go to C:\Windows\ccmsetup\Logs
- Client.Msi.log to confirm the installation status
- Make sure there is NO entry called “Return Value 3“.
Product: Configuration Manager Client -- Installation operation completed successfully. Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Configuration Manager Client. Product Version: 5.00.8968.1000. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation. Installation success or error status: 0.
Results – Client Push Installation
- The client got installed and it showing as online in Configuration Manager console.
- The ConfigMgr client push installation was successful.
- How to Perform SCCM AD Discovery Install SCCM Client
- Windows Firewall and port settings for clients in Configuration Manager
- ConfigMgr Client push installation
- How to deploy clients to Windows computers in Configuration Manager