Following is my quick notes from AMA organized by Microsoft WVD product team. It was super useful to me. I thought it would be helpful for you as well. Let’s have a quick walkthrough of the questions and answers which I wanted to highlight.
Subscribe to this blog via Email
You can go through all the WVD AMA discussion from the link which I shared in the Resources section of this post. More information on WVD – Microsoft VDI Story WVD Concept Setup Guide Myths Known Issues
WVD GA – ? WVD GA by end of calendar year. No specific dates.
WVD Service Availability Outside US
WVD Deployment Best Practice – We should deploy our VMs/VLANs in the Data Centers near to users as WVD is a non-regional service. The performance in other Azure regions will improve rapidly in next 6+ months, as we deploy regional clusters.
Azure AD Join Support?
WVD VM Azure AD Join Support for WVD instead of Domain Join? Investigating!
WVD SSO Related Questions?
1. SSO without Azure AD Domain Services or AD DC requirement – We’ve gotten lots of feedback on this, and are investigating. Currently, you would need AD DC and AD FS (of which we’ll have some more documentation soon).
2. No AD Domain services or AD DC requirement – Same as above. This one is a top ask for a lot of customers and we’re investigating how we can solve this, but no specific dates.
3. Front end in portal – Same as above. We’re investigating this. In the meantime, you can deploy the standalone management web app: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-desktop/manage-resources-using-ui .
4. Azure files with FSLogix for profiles with AD DC or Azure AD: Unfortunately, this is more of an Azure Files feature ask, since Azure Files–at the moment–isn’t recognizable by AD DC. They mentioned last Ignite that they are working on this specific feature (with AD DC), but we do not have updates at the time. Azure AD will be a separate issue, once we get there.
WVD Automation with Terraform
WVD automation with Terraform. Microsoft say they have production deployment done with Terraform
WVD Latency Related Issues?
WVD Latency Commitment/recommendation – It makes a mention that 150ms is what you should stay under for Windows WVD. It’s very generic commitment/guideline. Use WVD along with Citrix HDX? Is this possible?
More Details – https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-10-AMA/Latency-for-graphics-heavy-workloads/m-p/827240 & https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-10-AMA/Any-plan-to-integrate-a-stats-reporting-capability-for-the/m-p/827431
Thin Client Support for WVD?
WVD Thin Client Support Dell – Linux/Windows 10 IoT/ThinOS will be announced as part of GA? Microsoft is working with Dell and some other vendors to have this support by GA. I like this discussion thread in WVD AMA.
WVD Audio Video Support
Support for Audio and Video comms apps running – Teams support is coming as per WVD AMA.
FSLogix Profile Redirection Support in WVD AMA
WVD FSLogix Profiles – can the full profile be excluded, and then specific items added back? Not supported now.
Teams Optimizations with WVD
Microsoft Teams and Camera Settings in WVD RD Client – Teams optimizations (including media offload for teams calling) will not be in the WVD service GA, but are a fast-follow feature that we are working hard on and targeting to deliver not long after the WVD service GA.
Directed to a specific VM?
WVD Users to allows be directed to a specific VM – This is coming as a feature. It’s a common ask. Right now there can be 1:1 but the mapping is done by the brokering. For example, user 1 comes in gets vm2, user 2 comes in gets vm3, etc. We cannot specify that user 1 must get vm1. However there can be 1 VM per host pool and just 1 user assigned to it. This is what I heard in WVD AMA discussions.
WVD Orchestration for New WVD Client – Automation discussion.
- WVD AMA 28th Aug 2019 https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-10-AMA/bd-p/Windows10AMA
- Microsoft VDI Story WVD Concept Setup Guide Myths Known Issues
- SCCM Intune Support for Persistent Non-Persistent VDI VMs