Fix SCCM Upgrade resulting in MP issue. If you have trouble with your Management Point after the SCCM upgrade (updated with detailed steps and info regarding WSUS)
Fix – SCCM Upgrade resulting in MP issue
- Stop SCCM services (i.e. SMS_EXECUTIVE, SMS_SERVER_LOCATOR_POINT, etc)
- Remove SMS Management, Software Updates and Reporting Point roles
- Uninstall WSUS 3.0 SP2 (don’t remove updates, logs, and WSUS database)
- Remove the Windows Process Activation Service feature (it will remove IIS)
- Reboot server
- Stop SCCM services
- Reinstall IIS, required IIS role services by SCCM, and required features (BITS Server Extensions and Remote Differential Compression)
- Reinstall WSUS 3.0 SP2
- You might need to repair or reinstall the WebDAV extensions for IIS
- Reinstall SCCM Management, Reporting, and Software Updates Point roles.
- I checked mpMSI.log and MPSetup.log and a reboot was required
- Optional: if your boot images are not updated, reassign your Task Sequences to use the new ones and inject the right drivers into them.
NOTE: If your SCCM site is in Native mode you need to remember to configure your SSL certificate for the IIS SSL bindings (HTTPS for whatever port you are using).
About Author -> Anoop is Microsoft’s Most Valuable Professional Award winner from 2015 on the technologies! He is a Solution Architect on enterprise device management solutions with more than 20 years of experience (calculation done in 2021) in IT. He is Blogger, Speaker, and Local User Group Community leader. His main focus is on Device Management technologies like Configuration Manager, Windows 365 Cloud PC, Intune, Azure Virtual Desktop, Windows 10, and Windows 11.