In this series of posts, I will share tips to make application packagers life easier. In part 1 of this series, you can learn about the future of packaging and modern packaging community. In this post, you will see how to setup smart package studio.
Get Ready to Setup Smart Package Studio
Most of the organizations are moving from traditional to modern device management technologies. And packaging technologies are also evolving to catch up with the contemporary world of AI and machine learning.
You will learn more about the automation Technics used in the smart package studio when you try to install the trial version and learn it.
Download the following applications to complete the setup of the packaging environment. I installed the smart package studio in my Windows 10 device which has virtualization supported hardware.
NOTE!- The VirtualBox platform is required to build a smart package studio environment and to you need supported hardware to use Oracle VirtualBox. You can check more details from here. Most of the modern laptops and desktops are supported with VirtualBox!
- Download Oracle VirtualBox platform packages (Free latest version)
- Download VirtualBox Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack (Free – same version as virtual box platform)
- Download Smart Package Studio (trial version)
- Windows 10/7 ISO to build Virtual Machines
Video Tutorial – Setup Smart Packaging Environment
Install Smart Package Studio
Installing the smart package studio is a straight forward process. I would recommend going with the default setup configurations.
Setup Smart package studio and packaging lab are not yet completed with this installation, and this is just the first and easiest step of the installation process.
I have installed smart package studio as you can see in the video tutorial.
The smart package studio installer created five(5) shortcuts of different tools which will be used in this series of posts to create MSI application packages, capture the snapshot, and to create smart transform files for MSI application packages.
- Smart ThinApp Editor
- Smart Tester
- Smart Capture
- Smart Searcher
- Smart Editor
Let’s install Oracle VirtualBox and extension before launching any of the above mentioned smart package studio tools.
Install Oracle VirtualBox and Extension
To complete the setup of Smart package studio, you need to download and install the latest version (6.0.4) of Oracle VirtualBox, and it’s an extension.
VirtualBox installation is also a straight forward process. I would recommend going through the default configurations to complete the setup.
A new shortcut called Oracle VM VirtualBox is created after the successful installation of VirtualBox.
Now it’s time to install the VM VirtualBox extension pack as mentioned in the above section of the post. This extension installation took less than a minute on my laptop.
Create Windows 10 Virtual Machine
The next step is to create a Windows 10 virtual machine with Oracle VirtualBox tool. You should be ready with Windows 10 ISO to create the VM.
Follow the steps mentioned below to create a Windows 10 64 bit Virtual Machine from VirtualBox.
- Launch theNew Virtual Machine Wizard by selecting
- Name of the VM = Win10
- Machine Folder = C:\Users\digit\virtualBox VMs
- Type of Operating System (Windows/Linux/MacOS) = Microsoft Windows
- Version = Windows 10 (64-bit)
- Click on Next to configure the memory (RAM) size for that Windows 10 machine = 2048 MB (default value)
- Click on Next button to continue and configure Hard disk
- Do not add a virtual hard disk
- Create a virtual hard disk now (selected this one)
- Use an existing virtual hard disk file
- Click on Next button to configure the Hard Disk File Type
- VDI (VirtualBox Disk Image)
- VHD (Virtual Hard Disk) – Opted for this option
- VMDK (Virtual Machine Disk)
- Click on Next button to configure Storage on physical hard disk
- Dynamic allocated
- Fixed size – Faster performance
- Click on Next button to configure File location and Size
- Win10 (File location folder name for this VM)
- 50.00 GB (size of the Hard Disk)
- Click on Create button to start the creation of VirtualBox VM
- Right click on the newly created VM and click on start and then select normal start
- From the Windows 10 VM – Click on Devices -> Optical Drives – Attach Windows 10 ISO (which is already downloaded) to VM and boot the VM from Windows 10 ISO and complete the Windows 10 setup process!
- The above created VM is Windows 10 test machine to perform all the packaging related testing with Smart package studio
- You need to log in with a built-in administrator account to the Windows 10 VM to complete the following steps. Or you can disable UAC on the VM and log in with an admin account
Install VirtualBox Guest Additions on Windows 10
Follow the below steps to install VirtualBox guest additions on Windows 10 virtual machine. This installation will help to integrate and authorize a smart package studio to manage this VM remotely.
- Make sure you remove the already mounted Windows 10 ISO file from VM
- Click on Devices and select Insert Guest Additions CD Image from VM
- Click on Run VboxWindowsAdditions.exe to Install VirtualBox Guest Additions on Windows 10 (Oracle VM VirtualBox Guest Additions 6.0.4 Setup)
- Go through the default settings of VirtualBox guest additions tool to install it
- Reboot the Windows 10 VM to complete the Setup
Best Practices & Take Snapshot of VM
In this section, you will see the best practices to setup a VM to setup smart package studio environment. The following are the recommended settings.
- Go to Services.msc and Disable Windows update.
- Create a new user “test user” using compmgmt.msc. This user is a normal user and will be used to test the application packages using smart tester tool.
- Go to the VM toolbar and click on Machine -> Take Snapshot to start the snapshot of the Windows 10 VM
- You need to provide the name of the snapshot – “Snapshot 1“
- The snapshot will get saved, and it will show you the progress bar while Saving the machine state
- Now you can close the Virtual machine by selecting the following options
- Select – Power off the machine
- Select – Restore current ‘snapshot 1‘
- Click OK button to complete this process
In the next post, you can see the overview of all the exciting functionalities and automation of Smart package studio.
- Oracle VM VirtualBox – Download – here
- A guide to integrate VirtualBox and Smart packaging environment
- How to Make Application Packagers Life More Easy – Part 1