As an SCCM admin, Office 365 changes and requirements are more critical for my day to day operations. I have a previous blog post about “How to Change Office 365 Update Channel with SCCM Run Script“. In this post, you will see the easiest way to use SCCM Office365 ProPlus 64 bit change (architecture from 32 bit to 64 bit).
Subscribe to this blog posts via eMail
Microsoft has provided a new solution and easiest way to change the office 365 ProPlus architecture from 32 bit to 64-bit using MigrateArch attribute.
Now the change from a Office365 ProPlus from 32-bit to a 64-bit installation of Office 365 ProPlus is bit easy.
The Office Deployment Tool and its configuration.xml file support an optional attribute named MigrateArch. If the MigrateArch attribute is set to True, then your installation of Office365 ProPlus can be changed.
NOTE 1– Previously, we had to uninstall the Office365 ProPlus 32-bit version and then install Office365 ProPlus 64-bit office, which was taking so much time and configuration, which was in a real-world, not an easy task.
NOTE 2 – Check out additional tips section at the bottom of this post to get more details about the issues with MigrateArch attribute method.
Prerequesiste – MigrateArch Attribute
- Minimum Office 365 ProPlus 1902 version installed on the device that you want to change the architecture using MigrateArch.
- Office Deployment Tool minimum version of 16.0.11615.33602.
- A shared location that contains the source files for all the product (64 bit) and language files (French, German, etc..) for the architecture that you are changing.
- Configuration.xml which will be used for the installation of office365 ProPlus 64 bit version
- Download.xml file which will be used for download the Office365 ProPlus 64 bit version
NOTE 1 – In this post, we are going to install Office365 ProPlus 1902 SAC T and will change the architecture of Office from 32 bit to 64 bit.
NOTE 2 – Before changing to a different the Office365 ProPlus architecture makes sure that your existing add-ins, macros, and complex Office files work on the new 64-bit architecture.
How to Guide – Office365 x64 ProPlus Change
In the following sections, I will cover how to change the Office365 ProPlus architecture to x64 bit using SCCM application deployment method.
Prepare Download.xml file
As a first step, you can prepare the download.xml file, which will be used to download the Office 365 Semi-annual channel (Targeted). Refer to my previous post to check and understand the process of changing office365 ProPlus channels.
- Download the Office Deployment Tools, download from here download link
- After downloading the tool, run OfficeDeploymentTool.exe
- Extract the files to drive on your computer
- You can see Setup.exe and a couple of Configuration files
Create a Download.xml file and copy this content.
<Configuration> <Add SourcePath="\\ServerName\MS Office Deployment Tool" OfficeClientEdition="64" Channel="Targeted"> <Product ID="O365ProPlusRetail"> <Language ID="en-us" /> </Product> </Add> </Configuration>
Prepare Configuration.xml file
- Create a new Configuration.xml file this file will be used for SCCM Office365 ProPlus 64-bit application deployment.
- Open the Configuration.xml file and modify it to reflect the following
<Configuration> <Add OfficeClientEdition="64" MigrateArch="TRUE" Channel="Targeted" AllowcdnFallback="TRUE"> <Product ID="O365ProPlusRetail"> <Language ID="en-us" /> </Product> </Add> <Display Level="None" AcceptEULA="TRUE" /> <Logging Level="Standard" Path="C:\Logs" /> </Configuration>
- In the first line of the above XML file (Add OfficeClientEdition=”64″ MigrateArch=”TRUE” Channel=”Targeted” AllowcdnFallback=”TRUE”), we are asking the script to migrate the Office365 ProPlus Architecture from 32-bit version to 64-bit.
- Display Level “None” and AcceptEULA=True is used for silent installation.
- Logging Level standard and path provided to store the installation log file.
- Channel “Targeted” is used for Semi-annual Channel (Targeted) if you want to download the monthly channel then replace with Monthly.
Download Office365 ProPlus product
How to download Office365 ProPlus x64-bit source files? Use the following command line to download.The download starts silently, you will see an Office folder appear in your current directory.
- Open a command prompt and naviguate to your folder
- Execute : Setup.exe /download Download.xml
NOTE! – Make sure you have adjusted the DOWNLOAD.XML to include all the regional language source files which you want to downlaod.
Create the Office365 ProPlus x64 bit Application
In this section, you will see the how to create SCCM application for migrating Office365 Proplus architecture from x32 to x64.
If you are not familiar with SCCM application creation Wizard, then you can refer to the previous blog post “Video Experience Guide SCCM CB Application Creation Deployment and Installation” & “How to Deploy and Install Office 365 ProPlus Applications“.
- In SCCM console – Navigate to Software Library / Application Management / Applications.
- Right-click Applications and choose to Create Application.
- General tab of the Create Application Wizard, select Manually specify the application information, select Next.
- On the General Information tab, enter a name for the application, enter any optional information, click Next.
- In the Application Catalog tab, provide the information that’s appropriate for your environment, click Next.
- In Deployment Types tab, click Next.
- In General tab of the Create Deployment Type Wizard, select Script Installer, click Next.
- In General Information tab, enter a name for the deployment type, click Next.
- In the Content tab, provide the location where you have the Office Deployment Tool, Configuration.xml file, and the Office 365 ProPlus installation files that you downloaded from the Internet.
- In the Installation program box, enter the following text: Setup.exe /configure Configuration.xml.
- After you enter this information, click Next.
- On the Detection Method tab, select Add Clause.
- In the Detection Rule dialog box, do the following.
- Configure the following registry value and platform, which will be x64.
- Settings Type – Registry
- Hive – HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
- Key – Software\Microsoft\Office\ClicktoRun\Configuration
- Value – Platform
- Data Type – String
- Select the option – This Registry setting must satisfy the following rule to indicate the presence of this application
- Operator – Equals
- Value – x64
- After you enter this information, click OK, and then click Next.
- In the User Experience page, in the Installation behavior list, select Install for the system, and then click Next.
- If you want to configure any dependencies or requirement, then configure otherwise go to the summary and close the application creation wizard.
Deploy Office365ProPlus 64 bit application to 32 bit Devices
You can see I have installed Office365 ProPlus 32-bit (version 1902) successfully installed on my test computer, next action is to install 64-bit office on the same machine.
In the last step, we need to deploy newly created Office365 ProPlus 64-bit application on to 32-bit office 365 application installed machine.
NOTE! – Version details of Office365 ProPlus 32 bit version.
Results – SCCM Office365 ProPlus x64 bit Change
Now, the office365 ProPlus 64 bit applciation is installed.
When I open the office365 ProPlus Excel document, then I can see the architecture of office365 ProPlus has changed from 32 bit to 64 bit.
Additional Real World Tips – SCCM Office365 ProPlus 64 Bit Change
It’s a simple process to change the architecture from Office365 ProPlus from 32 bit to 64 bit. But, once you start the installation of the Office365 ProPlus 64 bit application. It will uninstall the installed office365 32-bit application and then reinstall the 64-bit application.
NOTE 1– Do you think? This process will change the architecture in the background, and the user might not have any impact? NO, that is wrong. User cannot work while Office365 ProPlus 64 bit installation is running.
NOTE 2 – If you have an MS Visio, MS Project, MS Access DB engine, and Sharepoint designer installed on your computer, then those apps should be uninstalled before the installation of 64-bit office application, otherwise the installation will fail.
- Change an Office 365 ProPlus installation from 32-bit to 64-bit
- Additional information about using MigrateArch attribute
- Deep Dive SCCM Application Model Troubleshooting
- How to Deploy and Install Office 365 Applications via SCCM CB