In this post, you will how to upgrade Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 from v2.0 to v3.0.
Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 Architecture
Following is the architecture diagram of Veeam Backup Office 365 architecture. The following are components I installed on my lab server in 2016.
- Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 server
- Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 proxy
- Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 repository
- Veeam Explorers for Microsoft Exchange, SharePoint and OneDrive for Business
What’s New in Version 3
What’s new in Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 version 3. More details are available https://www.veeam.com/veeam_backup_microsoft_office_365_3_0_user_guide_pg.pdf
- Up to 30x faster backups
- Increased security
- ENHANCED! Office 365 data
- Protection reports –
- Identify unprotected Office 365 mailboxes
- Manage license and storage usage.
- Meet security and compliance requirements
- Efficiently scale and minimize overhead
- Unified on-premises and Office 365 backup
You need to install and upgrade to .NET Framework 4.7.2 version installed on Veeam Backup Microsoft Office 365 proxy server.
NOTE! – Download the .NET Framework 4.7.2 from https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-framework/net472.
- DNS name resolution
- Additional proxy deployment
- Anti-virus and HIPS
Upgrade to Version 3
Click on the Upgrade button below to start Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 v2 to v3.
NOTE! – During the upgrade, Veeam closes the Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 console.
- New version is getting downloaded v22.214.171.1242
NOTE! – All Jobs will be stopped. Do you want to install the update now?
- Click on YES
- Go through the wizard and finish the upgrade Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 v3.
NOTE! – All your settings will be intact after the version 2.0 to 3.0 upgrade.
- Verified the connectivity to Office 365 organization. And everything is intact.
Modern Authentication Vs Basic Authentication
Modern authentication – Default and recommended way to authenticate and access the Office 365 services using MFA and certificate-based authentication for extra security.
Basic Authentication – Legacy authentication to access the office 365 services on behalf of a user (not recommended option).
Microsoft Graph API
There is no surprise that Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 solution uses Microsoft graph API to connect to Office 365 SaaS solution.
Schedule Options – Permitted/Denied
There is an interesting and very useful option while creating a backup schedule. The option to terminate the job if it exceeds allowed backup windows.
- Permitted – This is the only permitted Windows to run the backup job.
- Denied – This is the restricted Window and during this schedule the running backup jobs will be terminated.
The Office 365 backup solution works fine after the upgrade to v3.
- User Guide – https://veeam_backup_microsoft_office_365_3_0_user_guide_pg.pdf
- Veeam Vanguard Summit 2019 a Quick Recap
- Veeam’s Free Tool To Backup And Restore Windows 10
About Author -> Anoop is Microsoft’s Most Valuable Professional Award winner from 2015 on the technologies! He is a Solution Architect on enterprise device management solutions with more than 20 years of experience (calculation done in 2021) in IT. He is Blogger, Speaker, and Local User Group Community leader. His main focus is on Device Management technologies like Configuration Manager, Windows 365 Cloud PC, Intune, Azure Virtual Desktop, Windows 10, and Windows 11.