Let’s find out the easiest way to disable shutdown button for WVD (a.k a Windows Virtual Desktop) VM. WVD VM management with Intune is looking great! Well, this statement is true for all supported scenarios of WVD, Intune, and Azure AD.
I think there are a lot of registry hacks around disabling the Windows 10 Shutdown button on WVD VMs. well, there are some requirements to hide other power options on Windows 10 WVD VMs. Those options are sleep, Hibernate, and Switch Account. One of the following hacks is giving below.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 ;disable-shut-down-restart-sleep-hibernate-windows-10 [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]"HidePowerOptions"=dword:00000001 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]"HidePowerOptions"=dword:00000001
The following policy from Intune help to disable and block Power Options from Windows 10 WVD VMs.
- Shut Down – Block
- Sleep – Block
- Hibernate – Block
- Switch Account – Block
Intune Policy to Disable Shutdown Button
- Login to EndPoint.Microsoft.com (https://endpoint.microsoft.com/)
- Navigate to Devices – Configuration Profiles – + Create Profile
- Select Platform as Windows 10 and Later
- Select Profile as Device Restrictions
- Click on Create button
- Enter the Name of the Intune Configuration Profile – Disable Shutdown Button for WVD Windows 10 VMs.
- Enter the Description – Disable Shutdown Button for WVD Windows 10 VMs.
- Click on Next button.
- On the Device Restrictions Settings, expand the Start options
- Select the BLOCK option from the Shutdown option.
- Enabling this policy hides shut down/update and shut down from appearing in the power button in the start menu.
- Select the BLOCK option from the Sleep option.
- Select the BLOCK option from the Hibernate option.
- Select the BLOCK option from the Switch Account option.
- Click on the Next button.
This setting is not mandatory and if you want to learn more about Intune Scope Tags.
- Select the Scope (Tags)
- Click +Add
- Select Tags -> Test
- Click on Select
- Click OK
- On the Assignments page.
- Click on + Select Groups to Include.
- Search for Azure AD Device Group which you want to Disable Shutdown button on WVD Windows 10 devices.
- Click on the group – Device_Group_ACN_MDM.
- Click on the Select button.
- Click on the Next button to continue.
- Click on Create button to finish the disable shutdown button policy deployment for WVD Windows 10 VMs.
Basics Name - Disable Studown Button for WVD Windows 10 VMs Description - Disable Studown Button for WVD Windows 10 VMs Platform - Windows 10 and later Profile type - Device restrictions - Configuration settings Start Shut Down - Block Sleep - Block Hibernate - Block Switch Account - Block Scope tags - Default Assignments - Included groups - Device_Group_ACN_MDM Excluded groups - NA -- Applicability Rules - NA
The only options available in the Power option is Restart and Disconnect. There is no option to shutdown the WVD VMs.
- The status of Block Shutdown from Intune Portal.