In this post, I will go through how an Azure AD normal user can change their Azure AD authentication phone number from the MyApps portal. Learn to change Azure MFA Authentication Phone Number from end user’s Windows 10 device.
What is Azure MFA?
MFA is Multi Factor Authentication to increase the security. When you sign in with your password, you are also required to respond from a registered device (Authentication Phone). The Azure MFA with authentication phone makes it harder for a hacker to sign in with just a stolen password.
How to setup multi factor authentication to secure your application and logins. I would recommend reading Microsoft documentation to setup Azure MFA.
Self Service or Help Desk
There are two (2) options to change the user’s Azure MFA authentication phone number. The first option is self service option which will help users to change their authentication phone number by themselves. You will get more details about self service (user empowered) method in this post.
The second option to change MFA authentication phone number is via the helpdesk. IT helpdesk who has access to Azure AD console can reset or change the MFA authentication phone details from Azure portal. I have explained the helpdesk process in one of my previous post here.
How to Change Azure MFA Authentication Phone
The enduser can follow the steps mentioned below to reset or change Azure MFA Authentication Phone.
- Login to MyApps portal (http://myapps.microsoft.com/) with Azure AD User name and password. You might have SSO (Single Sign On) enabled in your organization. If so. the user will get automatically logged in MyApps portal.
- Click on Profile picture on right hand top corner of the portal.
The following link may get changed. So if the link is not working, then try to use Myapps portal. (https://account.activedirectory.windowsazure.com/r#/profile).
- Click on Profile options from the menu option as you can in the below screenshot. The following link may get changed. So if the link is not working, then try to use Myapps portal. https://account.activedirectory.windowsazure.com/Proofup.aspx
- From Additional security verification page, select what your preferred option is? You will use this verification option by default. Set up one or more of these authentication options:-
- Call my authentication phone
- Text code to my authentication phone
- Call my office phone
- Notify me through the app
- Use Verification code from the app or taken
- You can change the Authentication phone number from “how would you like to respond?” section.
- You can also use a backup or alternate authentication phone from the same page
- You can also use Microsoft Azure Authenticator app from Google Play or Apple store as Azure MFA Authentication Phone. This Microsoft Authenticator App is my favorite method to use Azure MFA Authentication Phone.
- “How would you like to respond?” section from the page will give you an option to delete Microsoft Authenticator app from your iPhone or Android phone.
- Click on Save button to complete the change Azure MFA Authentication Phone number.
- Once you click on Save button, you will receive a security code on your new Azure MFA Authentication phone. Enter that MFA code on the screen to complete the change Azure MFA Authentication Phone.
- Your phone numbers will only be used for account security. Standard telephone and SMS charges will apply. Hence we completed the change Azure MFA Authentication Phone.
- You can directly change the Azure MFA Authentication Phone number from https://aka.ms/MFASetup