ConfigMgr SCCM Cloud DP More Details? Are you looking for more details about cloud-based DPs? Cloud-based DPs are introduced in CM2012 SP1. You may get some details from Kerim Hanif‘s post here.
Latest Cloud DP details for ConfigMgr CB – Download Content Using Cloud Management Gateway – Anoopcnair.com
So, what are the points he covered in the post?
ConfigMgr SCCM Cloud DP More Details
1. Advantages of Using Cloud-Based Distribution Points.
– Hardware/software updates and reliability: Cloud-Based DPs are hosted in Windows Azure, and Windows Azure promises a 99.9 % uptime guarantee. You don’t need to manage the hardware and software updates of the server.
– Performance and Size: Again, Windows Azure promises to provide better performance, and it also gives the option for purchasing extra small sizes as per your requirements. ConfigMgr SCCM Cloud DP More Details.
– Access from all around the world: You can select the Microsoft DCs in required geographical locations so that the content will be easily accessible to the clients.
– Security: Again, this promises HTTPS communication and Encryption with a unique key to your organization.
2. Cost involved in Cloud-Based Distribution Points. ConfigMgr SCCM Cloud DP More Details?
– Web and Worker Role Instances: Basically, it depends upon which plan you select. For example, Extra Small (XS). Once you select a plan, there will be a CONSTANT Cost.
– Storage (Geo-Redundant): The charge will be as per the size of the content that you use. This will be a variable cost as per your monthly usage.
– Bandwidth: The charges will be based on the download of the content. How many clients are downloading the content etc? This is also a Variable Cost.
3. Limitations of Cloud-Based Distribution Points. ConfigMgr SCCM Cloud DP More Details?
– We can’t enable OSD or PXE points on Cloud-Based DPs. ConfigMgr SCCM Cloud DP More Details?
– No, there is no support for Task Sequence (both Application and OSD deployments) in Cloud-Based DPs.
– No, APP-V Streaming won’t work.
– Cloud Dps can’t act as a source for Pull DPs.
Anoop is Microsoft MVP! He is a Solution Architect in enterprise client management with more than 20 years of experience (calculation done in 2021) in IT. He is a blogger, Speaker, and Local User Group HTMD Community leader. His main focus is on Device Management technologies like SCCM 2012, Current Branch, and Intune. E writes about ConfigMgr, Windows 11, Windows 10, Azure AD, Microsoft Intune, Windows 365, AVD, etc…