ConfigMgr SCCM Package Migration During Side by Side Upgrade. I want to share an interesting question targeted to me and possible answers for that. How to perform package migration? (Scenario – Side By Side Upgrade from SMS to SCCM).
Initially, I planned to use the third-party tool (1E Migration Tool), which I never tried. Then the question came across was, how can we achieve this without any third-party tools? Few options which I thought of (I won’t go into details of every step).
ConfigMgr SCCM Package Migration During Side by Side Upgrade
Option A ConfigMgr SCCM Package Migration During Side by Side Upgrade
1. Build a new SMS server and attach it to the current central server.
2. Packages and collections will get replicated automatically.
3. Detach the server from the existing hierarchy.
4. Upgrade the server to SCCM.
Option B ConfigMgr SCCM Package Migration During Side by Side Upgrade
There is a tool from Microsoft called “CopySCCMObj” which you can get from your Microsoft TAM. It will help you migrate not only Packages but also Collections and Advertisements.
Option C (Kim’s solution Data is not updated since 2008)
1. Install SMS 2003 SP2 on the new server.
2. Attach new SMS 2003 SP2 site as a child site.
3. Let objects replicate.
4. Break the Parent-Child relationship.
5. Upgrade new Site to Configmgr 2007.
6. Install KB945898.
7. Migrate clients to the new site.
8. Remove boundaries from the original site.
9. Add boundaries to the new site.
10. Decommission the original site.
11. Migrate non-replicating objects (queries/reports).
Option D ConfigMgr SCCM Package Migration During Side by Side Upgrade
1. Take the backup of the SMS central server.
2. Restore that in the LAB environment.
3. Upgrade it to SCCM.
4. Build another SCCM server with the site code and name (which you plan for the new SCCM hierarchy) and attach it to the central server.
5. All the packages and collections will get replicated.
6. Take the backup of the later SCCM server and restore it in the production environment.
Anoop is Microsoft MVP! He is a Solution Architect in enterprise client management with more than 20 years of experience (calculation done in 2021) in IT. He is a logger, Speaker, and Local User Group HTMD Community leader. His main focus is on Device Management technologies like SCCM 2012, Current Branch, and Intune. He writes about ConfigMgr, Windows 11, Windows 10, Azure AD, Microsoft Intune, Windows 365, AVD, etc…