I would like to share an interesting question which was targeted to me and possible answers for that.
How to perform package migration? (Scenario – Side By Side Upgrade from SMS to SCCM).
Initially, I was planning to use the third party tool (1E Migration Tool) which never tried.
Then the question came across was, how can we achieve this without any third party tools?
Few options which I thought off (I won’t go into details of every steps)
1. Build a new SMS server and attach it to the current central server.
2. Packages and collections will get replicated automatically.
3. Detach the server from the existing hierarchy.
4. Upgrade the server to SCCM.
There is a tool from Microsoft called “CopySCCMObj” which you can get from your Microsoft TAM. It will help you migrate not only Packages but also Collections and Advertisements. Technet Thread discussion.
Option C (Kim’s solution Data is not updated since 2008)
1.Install SMS 2003 SP2 on new server.
2.Attach new SMS 2003 SP2 site as a child site.
3.Let objects replicate.
4.Break Parent – Child relationship.
5.Upgrade new Site to Configmgr 2007 .
7.Migrate clients to new site.
8.Remove boundaries from original site.
9.Add boundaries to new site.
10.Decommission original site .
11.Migrate non-replicating objects (queries/reports).
Option D 🙂
1. Take the backup of SMS central server.
2. Restore that in LAB environment.
3. Upgrade it to SCCM.
4. Build another SCCM server with the site code and name (which you are planning for new SCCM hierarchy) and attach it to the central server.
5. All the packages and collections will get replicated.
6. Take the backup of the later SCCM server and restore it in production environment.