Let’s learn Windows 10 Servicing Upgrade to 20H2 using ConfigMgr. You can use Windows 10 servicing plans to keep Windows 10 up to date and secured. Windows 10 20H2 is the latest version of Windows 10. You can also upgrade to Windows 10 20H2 using Intune and WUfB (Windows Update for Business).
You can manage Windows as a service using ConfigMgr (A.K.A Configuration Manager). You can learn how to upgrade to Windows 10 20H2 version using ConfigMgr. Windows 10 Oct Update is another name for Windows 10 20H2.
Windows 10 Servicing
Windows 10 servicing is the modern way of upgrading Windows 10 to the latest version without using the in-place upgrade (IPU) Task Sequence.
You can create service plans to form deployment rings and ensure that Windows 10 systems are kept up-to-date when new builds are released. You can also view alerts when Windows 10 clients are near the end of support for their Semi-Annual Channel build.
- Windows 10 Software Update Management. Windows Update for Business should not be enabled.
- Online Service Connection Point
- Enable Specify thread priority for feature updates from Client settings (1902 or later).
- Enable Dynamic Update for feature updates from Client settings (1906 or later).
- From the Products make you have enabled the following product.
- Windows 10, version 1903 and later
- Click on UPGRADE and enable the checkmark for upgrade option from the Classification tab from Software Update Point Component Properties.
NOTE! – Make sure all the prerequisites mentioned the following post is in place- Enable Windows 10 servicing using SCCM.
Search for Windows 10 20H2 Servicing
- Navigate to \Software Library\Overview\Windows 10 Servicing\All Windows 10 Updates
- Search with Product and Date Released:
- Product – Windows 10 version 1903 and Later.
- Date Released – is On or After – Last 28 Days.
- Click on the Search button.
- Click on the available update named – Feature update to Windows 10 (business editions), version 20H2, en-us x64.
- The “required” column shows 1.
Download Windows 10 20H2 Servicing Package
- Right-click on Feature update to Windows 10 (business editions), version 20H2, en-us x64 and Click on Download.
- Select Create a new deployment package.
- Enter the Name – Download Windows 10 20H2 Servicing Package.
- Enter the package name source – UNC path to store the source file.
- Click on Add and select Distribution Point.
- Select the Distribution Point – Click on the DP Name.
- Click OK and Next.
- Select the option “Automatically Download Content when packages are assigned to distribution points.”
- Download Source files from the Internet.
- Download Software Updates from the internet.
- Click Next continue
- Specify the update languages for products.
- Select the different languages by clicking on the Edit button.
- Click Next.
- Click on Next on Summary page.
Package: The software updates will be placed in a new package: • Windows 10 20H2 Feature Content (1): • CMMEMCM.MEMCM.COM Distribution Settings • Priority: Medium • Enable for on-demand distribution: Disabled • Prestaged distribution point settings: Automatically download content when packages are assigned to distribution points Software updates that will be downloaded from the internet Feature update to Windows 10 (business editions), version 20H2, en-us x64 Windows Update Language Selection: English Office 365 Client Update Language Selection: English (United States)
- Click on Next button to download the Provisioning Update – Feature Update to Windows (business editions), version 20H2, en-us x64)
NOTE! – Check the PatchDownloader.log file from the %temp% folder to troubleshoot download issues with Windows 10 20H2.
- Download the following files completed
- Make sure that you verified the download column shows Yes before proceeding further.
Deploy Windows 10 Servicing Package
You have already downloaded the Windows 10 20H2 servicing package. Now, let’s deploy the Windows 10 servicing update to test collection.
- Navigate to \Software Library\Overview\Windows 10 Servicing\All Windows 10 Updates.
- Right-Click on a Feature update to Windows 10 (business editions), version 20H2, en-us x64 and click on Deploy.
- Enter the Name of Windows 10 Servicing Deployment
- Windows 10 20H2 Servicing
- Select Type of Deployment – Required.
- Select State Message Level – Only Success and Messages.
- Select Schedule Evaluation – Client Local Time.
- Select Software Available Time – As Soon As Possible.
- Select Installation Deadline – Specific Time – Date and TIme.
- Select all the default values for Windows 10 Servicing
- Deadline Behavior.
- Device Restart Behavior.
- Write Filter handling for Windows Embedded Devices.
- Software Updates Deployment re-evaluation behavior upon restart.
- Select the default alert configuration for Windows 10 20H2 servicing deployment.
Select the following options for Windows 10 20H2 servicing deployment using SCCM (a.k.a ConfigMgr).
- Deployment Options:
- Do not install software updates
- Deployment Options
- Download and Install software updates from the distribution points site default boundary group
- Click on the Next button twice.
NOTE – If software updates are not available on distribution point in current, neighbor or site boundary group, download content from Microsoft Updates (mentioned in the above screen capture) option is valid for Windows 10 servicing as per the Microsoft docs.
Summary – Deployment
Let’s check the summary of Windows 10 20H2 deployment below:
Updates Targeted: • Feature update to Windows 10 (business editions), version 20H2, en-us x64 3012973(Article ID) General: • Deployment Name: Windows 10 20H2 Servicing • Collection: HTMD Collection Deployment Settings: • Send wake-up packets: No • Verbosity Level: Only success and error messages Scheduling: • Deployment schedules will be based on: Client local time • Available to target computers: 10/23/2020 6:28:00 PM • Deadline for software update installation: 10/30/2020 5:50:00 PM • Delayed enforcement on deployment: No User Experience: • User Notifications: Display in Software Center and show all notifications • Install software updates outside the maintenance window when deadline is reached: No • Restart system outside the maintenance window when deadline is reached: Suppressed • If a restart is required it will be: Allowed • Commit changes at deadline or during a maintenance window (requires restarts): Yes • If any update in this deployment requires a system restart, run updates deployment evaluation cycle after restart: No Alerts: • On software update installation error generate a Window Event: No • Disable Window Event while software updates install: No Download Settings: • Computers can retrieve content from remote distribution points: No • Download and install software updates from the fallback content source location: Yes
- Click on the Close button to complete the deployment process.
End-User Experience Windows 10 Servicing
End user experience is similar to the Windows 10 2004 servicing.
- Manually Sync policies using ConfigMgr applet from Control Panel.
- Launch Software Center and click on Updates
- Select the available update for Windows 10 20H2.
- Click on the Install button to start the installation.
- User Confirmation of Windows 10 upgrade.
- Click on the Install button again.
Log Files for Windows 10 Servicing
The following are the important SCCM and Windows log files that are associated with Windows 10 servicing.
- Dism.log – C:\Windows\Logs\DISM