Let’s understand Lenovo Updates Catalog V3 for SCCM. Learn more about the details of third-party updates feature in your ConfigMgr environment. ConfigMgr 1806 or later version has the option to enable third-party updates (without SCUP integration).
[Related Posts –
- 1️⃣ SCCM Third-Party Software Updates Setup Step by Step Guide Post 1
- 2️⃣List of Free SCCM Catalogs for Third-Party Software Updates
- 3️⃣SCCM Third-Party Updates Background Process Guide Post 3
v3 Partner Catalogs
Before going through the steps to enable Lenovo drivers and updates, let’s see which are the free partner v3 catalogs available in ConfigMgr. I have shared the details of free and paid catalogs in the previous post. There are paid versions of catalogs available for you to use.
You can see more details about the List of Free and Paid catalogs. While writing the blog the following are the 3rd party vendors that support v3 catalogs.
- Lenovo (this post)
Lenovo Updates Catalog v3 for SCCM
The assumption here is you have already enabled the third-party software update. You can confirm Lenovo Updates Catalog V3 for SCCM support going through the following steps:
NOTE! – I think if you have already subscribed to the Lenovo catalog, then you need to unsubscribe and subscribe again to get the v3 catalog. Let me know in the comments if this is NOT your experience.
- Launch Console
- Navigate \Software Library\Overview\Software Updates\Third-Party Software Update Catalogs
Subscribe to Lenovo v3 Update Catalog
Now let’s subscribe to the Lenovo v3 Driver, BIOS update catalog from the below option.
- Select Lenovo partner catalog –publisher name – Lenovo
- Click on Subscribe to Catalog.
Download URL for Lenovo
This wizard downloads the third-party software update catalog “Lenovo Third Update Catalog” from the location specified in the download URL. Make sure you are able to connect to this location.
The following wizard then extracts and displays the catalog signing certificate for your to review and approve. This catalog includes updates for BIOS, drivers, and system software for Lenovo Products.
- Download URL for Lenovo third party update catalog:
- Support URL
- Click on Next.
- Lenovo client update catalog CAB file Download completed successfully
- Click on Next.
Lenovo Approval to Subscribe
Before creating the subscription to “Lenovo Third Update Catalog“, you must review and approve the catalog signing certificate.
Accept updates only from publishers that you trust. Software updates from publishers who are not trusted can potentially harm client computers when scanning for updates.
- Click on View certificates.
- Enable the checkbox near – I have read and understood this message.
- Click on Next.
Select Category of Lenovo Devices – Metadata
This is the page where the update v3 catalog helps you to select only the required Lenovo devices that are used in your organization.
Categories groups are grouping similar updates together. You can choose to synchronize specific categories or all updates from this catalog into SCCM. Clients scan against the synchronized update to determine if they can be installed.
- Select categories for the synchronization
- ThinkPad Yoga 460
- Software and Utilities
- ThinkPad Yoga 460
- Click the Next button.
Stage Update Content
Here is the possible option to select the automatic download option. When you stage the content of the Lenovo catalog update, all updates in the selected categories are automatically downloaded to your top-level software update point.
When you deploy updates that have staged content, you don’t have to download them through the SCCM console first. I selected Do not stage content, synchronize for scanning only (as this a recommended option).
- I selected option – Do not stage content synchronize for scanning only.
- I don’t recommend this option – Select the option – Stage the content for selected categories automatically.
- Click the Next button to continue.
NOTE! – Staging software update content may cause a large amount of data to be downloaded to your software update point.
Schedule Catalog Update
This is the page in the wizard, you can set a custom schedule only for 3rd party software update. And also Override the default synchronization schedule for the Lenovo catalog.
- I selected NOT to set a separate schedule.
- Click Next.
Summary + Completion
Let’s check the summary of the details that you have selected here for Lenovo Updates:
Subscribe To Catalog • Catalog Name : Lenovo Updates • Publisher : Lenovo • Description : This catalog includes updates for BIOS, drivers and system software for Lenovo Products. • Support URL : https://pcsupport.lenovo.com • Support Contact : • Download URL : https://download.lenovo.com/luc/v2/LenovoUpdatesCatalog2v2.cab Subscribed Categories • 3 update categories were selected for synchronization • No update categories were selected for staged content
Rest of the Process – Lenovo Updates Catalog V3 for SCCM
The rest of the processes for getting the Lenovo updates into the SCCM console are already explained in the below:
- Third-Party Update Catalogs Sync Skipped?
- Third-Party Update Catalogs Sync Completed
- New Product listing in Software Update Point Component Properties
- Another WSUS Sync
- Publish Third-Party Software Update Content
- Download & Create Software Update Package
You can find more details about Lenovo third-party update related log files in the following post called SCCM Log file details.
- WCM.log (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\Logs)
- PatchDownloader.log (%temp%)