SCCM ConfigMgr Issue OSD WinPE File Copying Very Slow Endpoint Manager. It seems SCCM or ConfigMgr 2012 R2 upgrade is causing some slowness to the OSD process. This is related to BITS downloads (Windows Image, boot image, and other contents) during WinPE.
I didn’t notice the slowness in my dev environment when I tried OSD after upgrading to R2.
SCCM ConfigMgr Issue OSD WinPE File Copying Very Slow Endpoint Manager
How and Where to Install kb 2905002 here….
This update applies to Central Administration sites, primary sites, administrator consoles, and clients. Applying this update to a site server will let you create client update packages.
After installing the update on on-site servers, any operating system boot images should be updated. SCCM ConfigMgr Issue OSD WinPE File Copying Very Slow Endpoint Manager. To update boot images after the hotfix is applied, follow these steps:
- In the Configuration Manager console, click Software Library.
- In the Software Library workspace, expand Operating Systems, and then click Boot Images.
- Select the boot image that you want to update.
- Right-click and then select the Update Distribution Points action.Note This action updates all distribution points and may have an adverse effect on an environment that contains many distribution points.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 for all boot images that have previously been distributed.
- All existing media (such as stand-alone, boot, or prestaged) that use existing boot images (default or custom) will have to be re-created.
- To fully fix the problem in Issue 2, the client side .msp file has to be installed during the “Setup Windows and ConfigMgr task by using the PATCH= command.
- For more information about how to update boot images, see the How to Manage Boot Images in Configuration Manager topic on the Microsoft TechNet website.
However, loads of people are facing this issue in their environments. Most of them raised CSS calls with MS and waiting for a Microsoft CSS update. You can keep the Technet Forum thread below, which may help you to keep updated about the issue.
Are you planning to SCCM 2012 R2? I would say, Hold your horses until Microsoft fixes this issue? SCCM ConfigMgr Issue OSD WinPE File Copying Very Slow Endpoint Manager.
Technet Forum Thread ==> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ (Latest update is CSS identified the issue and working the fix; however, it may take a few more weeks). SCCM ConfigMgr Issue OSD WinPE File Copying Very Slow Endpoint Manager.
Heine Jeppesen updated one of the findings, and I quote him here.
Seems like a change in the R2 components (OSDApplyOS.exe) causing this. We are also seeing the 100% CPU load from OSDApplyOS.exe on the VM’s we have been testing on (Win8 Hyper-V + VMware Workstation 10).
Anoop is Microsoft MVP! He is a Solution Architect in enterprise client management with more than 20 years of experience (calculation done in 2021) in IT. He is a blogger, Speaker, and Local User Group HTMD Community leader. His main focus is on Device Management technologies like SCCM 2012, Current Branch, and Intune. E writes about ConfigMgr, Windows 11, Windows 10, Azure AD, Microsoft Intune, Windows 365, AVD, etc…