SCCM MP rotation issue has been a big headache for loads of folks like me. SCCM comes with a workaround for the Management Point Rotation issue. More details about the MP rotation issue in SCCM “Workaround for Untrusted Forest SCCM 2012 MP Rotation Issue“.
FIX MP Rotation with Registry
Microsoft introduced a registry key called “AllowedMPs” with this registry key you can force the client to communicate with specific MP which you’ve mentioned in the value of the registry key “AllowedMPs“.
You can set FQDN of the MP which your client/s want to communicate.
Another update in ConfigMgr / SCCM 2012 R2 CU3 is related to software update sync. Microsoft has introduced registry key workaround to avoid Partial Software update Sync of child primary sites or secondary sites.
FIX SCCM Partial WSUS synchronization
There are some cases when your SCCM 2012 R2 CAS or primary site is under heavy load then the Child sites may perform partial WSUS synchronization. To avoid this you can set value for the registry key called “SyncGracePeriod“. This grace period will help to avoid partial software update sync scenarios in your environment. The maximum grace period allowed is 10 minutes.
Also, ConfigMgr SCCM 2012 R2 CU3 has included support for another list of non windows operating systems for application and package deployment. Installation of the CM 12 R2 CU3 is very straight forward.
Log file related to installation is located at Windows/Temp/cm12-r2cu3-kb2994331-x64-enu.log and cm12-r2cu3-kb2994331-x64-enu.msi.log. Installation related errors can be reviewed from these logs. SCCM 2012 R2 CU3 admin console update related log file is configmgr2012adminui-r2-kb2994331-i386.msp.log.
In this post, I’m going to provide details about two workarounds provided by Microsoft.
1. How to set registry key to stop SCCM ConfigMgr 2012 MP rotation Issue?
2. How to set registry key to stop SCCM ConfigMgr 2012 Partial Software Update Sync Issue?
How to set registry key to stop SCCM ConfigMgr 2012 MP rotation Issue?
1. Install SCCM 2012 R2 CU3 update on your site servers.
2. Install SCCM 2012 R2 CU3 on client machine
SCCM 2012 R2 CU3 Client version must be updated to 5.00.7958.1401
CCM Framework = 5.00.7958.1401.
Compliance and Settings Management = 5.00.7958.1401.
Power Management = 5.00.7958.1401.
Remote Tool Management = 5.00.7958.1401.
Software Distribution Agent = 5.00.7958.1401.
Software Update Agent = 5.00.7958.1401.
Task Sequence Components = 5.00.7958.1401.
3. Navigate to the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\CCM . Create a REG_MULTI_SZ registry value named “AllowedMPs” . Add FQDN name of MP in the registry value as mentioned in the following picture. This registry entry would be very useful for the scenarios explained in the post “Workaround for Untrusted Forest SCCM 2012 MP Rotation Issue“.
The “AllowedMPs” entry will restrict which SCCM 2012 management point (MP) a client can communicate with. In the following example my client will only communicate with the MP FQDN provided in the value “ACNCPRI.ConfigMgr.COM”
Lcoationservice.log will notify you about ignoring the rest of the MPs in the MPlist and accepting only one MP in AllowedMPs.
MP List is forced, ignoring MP 'ACNCMMP3.ConfigMgr.com' MP List is forced, ignoring MP 'ACNCMMP4.ConfigMgr.com' MP List is forced, ignoring MP 'ACNCMMP5.ConfigMgr.com'
How to set registry key to stop SCCM ConfigMgr 2012 Partial Software Update Sync Issue?
1. Login to the top most site server in your SCCM ConfigMgr 2012 R2 hierarchy. It could be ConfigMgr 2012 CAS server or standalone ConfigMgr Primary Server.
2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SMS\Components\SMS_WSUS_SYNC_MANAGER
3. Create New sub key SyncGracePeriod with REG_DWORD value 600 seconds (10 minutes).
The partial synchronization issue can occur when the WSUS Synchronization Manager component on a primary site begins synchronization before WSUS has completed processing all updates metadata. To prevent this scenario, the following registry subkey can be configured to use a new value in seconds: