Let’s understand Dell Updates Catalog V3 for SCCM. Learn more about the details of third-party updates feature in your ConfigMgr environment. SCCM 1806 or later version has the option to enable third-party updates (without SCUP integration).
[Related Posts –
- 1️⃣ SCCM Third-Party Software Updates Setup Step by Step Guide Post 1
- 2️⃣List of Free SCCM Catalogs for Third-Party Software Updates
- 3️⃣SCCM Third-Party Updates Background Process Guide Post 3
Free v3 Catalogs
The v3 third-party update catalogs support categories for updates. SCCM 1906 TP version introduced a new catalog version (V3) with options to select to sync only the required categories of products. Also, you get granularity to choose the content of all updates in the selected categories.
NOTE! – Selection options might be disabled for catalogs that aren’t published in the new v3 format.
v3 Partner Catalogs
Let’s see which are the free partner v3 catalogs available in Configuration Manager. I have shared the details of free and paid catalogs in the previous post.
While writing the blog the following are the 3rd party vendors that support v3 catalogs.
Dell Updates Catalog V3 for SCCM
Recently, I have seen an announcement on Twitter (Andrew Jimenez) that Dell also enabled the v3 catalog for SCCM third-party patching.
NOTE! – I think if you have already subscribed to the Dell catalog, then you need to unsubscribe and subscribe again to get the v3 catalog. Let me know in the comments if this is NOT your experience.
You can confirm Dell Updates Catalog V3 for SCCM support by going through the following steps:
- \Software Library\Overview\Software Updates\Third-Party Software Update Catalogs
Now let’s subscribe to the DELL v3 driver, and BIOS update catalog from the below option.
- Select the DELL partner catalog –publisher name – Dell
- Click on Subscribe to Catalog
- Download URL for Dell third party update catalog
NOTE! – This catalog supports system driver, BIOS, firmware and software updates for Dell business client products. See https://www.dell.com/support/article/sln311138/ for more details.
- Click on Next.
- Click Next.
- Click on View certificates.
- Enable the checkbox near – I have read and understood this message.
- Click on Next.
v3 – Select Update Categories
Since Dell is providing a V3 catalog, you can have an option to select ONLY specific updates.
- Let’s select Dell catalog version 3 (v3) from the following option:
- Select Categories for Synchronization
- Select the Dell Models you have in your environment.
- I have selected the Precision T790 model for the update synchronization.
- Click Next to continue.
Stage Update Content for ConfigMgr Third-party Update v3 Catalog
Let’s check the options to stage Update Content for SCCM Third-party Update v3 Catalog. When you stage content, all updates in the selected categories are automatically downloaded to your top-level software update point.
When you deploy updates that have staged content, you don’t have to download them through the SCCM console first. I have selected only Dell Precision T7910 for the stage update content option.
- Select Content download option – Do not stage content, synchronize for scanning only [Recommended].
- I don’t recommend this option – Select the option – Stage the content for selected categories automatically.
- Click the Next button to continue.
NOTE! – Staging software update content may cause a large amount of data to be downloaded to your software update point.
- Select the schedule option if there is any specific requirement for your environment.
- I normally go with Microsoft recommended option (the default one) as you can see in the below screen capture.
- Click Next to continue.
Subscribe To Catalog
• Catalog Name : Dell Business Client Updates Catalog
• Publisher : Dell
• Description : This catalog supports system driver, BIOS, firmware and software updates for Dell business client products. See https://www.dell.com/support/article/sln311138/ for more details.
• Support URL :
• Support Contact :
• Download URL : https://downloads.dell.com/Catalog/DellSDPCatalogPC.cab
• 1 update categories were selected for synchronization
• No update categories were selected for staged content
- Click on the Close button to complete the wizard.
Rest of the Process – Dell Updates Catalog V3 for SCCM
The rest of the processes for getting the Dell updates into the SCCM console are already explained the below:
- Third-Party Update Catalogs Sync Skipped?
- Third-Party Update Catalogs Sync Completed
- New Product listing in Software Update Point Component Properties
- Another WSUS Sync
- Publish Third-Party Software Update Content
- Download & Create Software Update Package
- WCM.log (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\Logs)
- PatchDownloader.log (%temp%)