Well, you have seen many OSD troubleshooting steps in different posts. I’m sharing my experience here. Here you go with SCCM OSD Known Issues Troubleshooting Guide.
NOTE! – I have updated the troubleshooting guide part 2 with additional issues and fixes.
Hello World, I am starting this page to put across all the issues and troubleshooting steps performed to fix all those issues in real-time. This might be a never-ending post but I will still take my chances and if any roadblocks then I have Anoop. Stay Tuned and keep refreshing the page.
Who should read this Article?
This article will help IT and Configuration Manager administrators who currently manage a mostly on-premises PC management infrastructure. It will help them prepare the PCs faster if any of these errors seen. Less effort and more coverage.
Errors are mostly from my Lab Infrastructure and Solutions provided by my old Mentor – (G, Balakrishnan).
SCCM Task Sequence Log paths:
So before we begin let’s take a quick look on all the logs we need to read for all the troubleshooting’s related to OSD.
Please keep in mind SMSTS.log is the one you will be always referring for troubleshooting OSD related issues. Refer to Vishal’s blog post to understand reading SMSTS.log.
|WinPE, before HDD format||x:\windows\temp\smstslog\smsts.log|
|WinPE, after HDD format||c:\_SMSTaskSequence\Logs\Smstslog\smsts.log|
|Full version, before agent installed||c:\_SMSTaskSequence\Logs\Smstslog\smsts.log|
|Full OS, After SCCM agent||%windir%\ccm\logs\Smstslog\smsts.log|
|Full OS, build complete||%windir%\ccm\logs\smsts.log|
Before you start your Troubleshooting, you need to check below:
- iDRAC Details to log in if the physical box. VMware if virtual.
- Check the collection membership of the baseline collections
- See the variable information like IP, hostname, description got updated properly
- CMTRACE is available from the command prompt
- Please keep in mind you will be looking SMSTS.log for anything and everything
Re-Initialize the failed task sequence:
This will be very helpful when TS failed without rebooting the server you can trigger the baseline again.
- From a command prompt, type “tsbootshell.exe” command.
Different Errors and Workarounds
There is no Task Sequence Available for this computer
- Collection membership is not updated
- Duplicate MAC Exists in SCCM DB
Example for Duplicate MAC having different hostname:
Error while Applying Operating system Image
0x800700A1 – 0x800700A1 = BAD_PATHNAME
Task sequence has failed with the error code 0x800700A1 – 0x800700A1 = BAD_PATHNAME – The task sequence tries to copy the files to the local hard drive but cannot find the path as the drive is in a RAW state.
- Task sequence error 0x8007000F – Failed to prepare the system partition for staging. The system cannot find the drive specified.
- OS Installation disk Must be having Drive letter “C”.
- Use “Diskpart” to check the drive letter and use “Assign Letter” command to change the drive letter
- To avoid this, configure only RAID-1 OS, later configure RAID-5 once baseline completes
Failed to Run Task sequence with error code “0x80004005”
Possible causes of 0x80004005 are given below:
- Communication failure from source to MP
- Ping failure
- Port block
- Unknown host
Software Installation Failure
- A Special case .net installation failure due to space issue in C drive
- Created less partition space which led to baseline failed
- For any application installation failure, Check the respective application installation logs in C:\LOGS folder
Task sequence Failed. Package unavailable in DP 0x80040103
Have you seen below error 0x80040103 while running Task Sequence? You will see below lines in the SMSTS.log.
Task Sequence failed with error code (0x80091007)
Hash Mismatch issue – Look for the package in question and the same needs to be updated to the DP’s in SCCM
Port Issue 80072ee7
- The Communication to the SCCM Server default port is failing
- This is a rare case, in some location ex: CDC,DMZ, or ODC have blocked all default ports
ESXi version is lower than what we have the drivers available in our catalogue
Boot image will not start if the ESXi < 5. 0% complete error in SCCM OSD. Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We’re just collecting some error info, and then you can restart. (0% complete).
If you’d like to know more, you can search online later for this error. HAL_INITIALIZATION_FAILED.
Applying Driver package error:
- We kept auto apply driver step in All TS which is suggested by MS to solve the “Apply driver package” failure isse
- DISM is unable to load and unload the registry hive when it applying driver package
Multiple boot image mapped which leads to wrong variable selection.
TS Unable to read the configuration disk
Rebuild the RAID
Task sequence failed with 0x80091007
- 1) remove and re-distribute the content, or create the packages again.
- 2) Make sure there is no hidden file within any of the package source folders.
- 3) Make sure enable binary differential compression is enabled
- 4) make sure there is no Hardware issue
- 5) update all firmware to latest
Struck Long time here:
Press F8 to open the command prompt and track the SMSTS.log file to see what is exactly going on.
Conclusion – Additional Tips OSD Known Issues Troubleshooting
Task Sequence Failed with the Error Code 0x80070002 – we see this error usually during the operating system deployment using SCCM 2012 R2. When you deploy the task sequence to a collection and when you boot the computer from the network, during the step “Applying Operating System” you encounter the Error Code 0x80070002.
In this situation what one might think would be to check the SMTS.log file. I would recommend that but there is something else that you need to check first. Error code 0x80070002 in SCCM 2012 can be interpreted as a network error wherein during the OSD the necessary files are not accessible by the computer where the operating system is being deployed.
The server lost the IP address or the IP assigned to the server is wrong, and it’s failing to communicate with SCCM server after the first reboot.