Let’s see how you can FIX SCCM Task Sequence Failed to run command line Error 0x8007010B. This error code prompt when task sequence failed to execute steps during operating system deployment with Configuration Manager. The error 0x8007010B translates “The directory name is invalid”. This is often seen when the specified command run in task sequence step doesn’t have the valid path to execute the command line.
You can learn how to add Run Command Line Step to SCCM Task Sequence. The command line added to SCCM task sequence must be installed silently when you decide to add during the OS deployment.
This error task sequence failed to Run Command Line Error 0x8007010B appears during the operating system deployment SCCM task sequence trying to execute the added steps attempted to access a directory that no longer exists, or the name of the directory is invalid. Task Sequence fails with the following error message –
The task sequence execution engine Install Software failed to run command line, hr=0x8007010b. The operating system reported error 2147942667: The directory name is invalid.
It’s best to examine the SMSTS.log to troubleshoot OSD-related problems, learning to read SMSTS.log is very important, and be aware of the location of SMSTS log files for different phases of deployment. More you can explore SCCM OSD Task Sequence Troubleshooting Steps by Step Ultimate Guide SMSTS.log.
Here’s the highlight from the SMSTS.log –
Executing command line: Run command line CreateProcess failed. Code(0x8007010B) Command line executionfailed (8007010B) Failed to execute command line. The directory name is invalid. (Error: 8007010B; Source: Windows) Install Software failed to run command line, hr=0x8007010b. The operating system reported error 2147942667: The directory name is invalid.
The Task Sequence Failed to Run Command Line Error 0x8007010B as the command line and path provided in the Run Command line step to sccm Task Sequence could not access content from the specified path. This could be due to a path mismatch or space between the directory name.
FIX – Task Sequence Failed to Run Command Line Error 0x8007010B
Let’s check the possible solutions to FIX Task Sequence Failed to Run Command Line Error 0x8007010B. It could be different based on the details you get into logs –
- In the Configuration Manager console, go to the Software Library workspace, expand Operating Systems, and then select the Task Sequences node.
- In the Task Sequence list, select the deployed task sequence that you want to edit. Select Edit to modify.
- Locate the steps and validate the command line added to steps and syntax. If you have added any path inside or directly to command line, Make sure to add double quote to avoid the space between them. For Example – cmd /c “Default Apps.bat”
Important – It’s always recommended to test the script manually before directly adding to the task sequence step. This will help you to perform a smooth deployment and ignore any further issues.
- The files added to source location is shared over network location and have Network Access Account has read permission on the directories.
- If the commnad line having dependencies over files, Instead of running script directly from the UNC path, Create a package and add all required files, Excecute with the batch file as shown below –
After validating the steps, do the necessary changes. Click Apply and OK in Task Sequence Editor to apply changes. Perform the deployment, You should be able to successfully perform the deployment.
About Author -> Jitesh has over 5 years of working experience in the IT Industry. He writes and shares his experiences related to Microsoft device management technologies and IT Infrastructure management. His primary focus area is Windows 10 Deployment solution with Configuration Manager, Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT), and Microsoft Intune.
- SCCM OSD SMSTS Log File Reading Tips | ConfigMgr | MEMCM
- FIX: SCCM Task Sequence Failed With Error Code 0x80070002
- FIX: SCCM Task Sequence Failed to Apply Driver Package 0x80070057
- HTMD Blog #2 SCCM Archive