Microsoft released Windows 10 KB5005565 September cumulative update. You can deploy the LCU fop Sep 2021 (KB5005565 and KB5005566) using SCCM/WSUS. You can also use Intune to deploy these patches using WUfB.
The September LCU KB5005565 is for Windows 10 versions 2004, 20H2, and 21H1. The LCU KB5005566 for Windows 10 version 1909. The known issues that I shared in the previous posts are applicable for this cumulative update as well.
SCCM admins will need to ensure that all the Windows 10 PCs are already installed with June CU before installing the September CU for Windows 10 2004, 20H2, and 21H1. There is another option also now if you already removed deleted the June CU from SCCM. You can find more details below.
Window Update for Bussiness (WUfB) Patching using Intune
The process is straightforward if the Windows PCs are managed by Intune and patches are deployed through Intune WUfB policies. You don’t have to worry about deploying a standalone SSU or deploying June cumulative update.
- More details -> Monthly Patching Process Using Intune
SCCM Deployment of Windows 10 KB5005565 and KB5005566
Let’s have a look at the SCCM deployment of the September cumulative update/patches KB5005565 and KB5005566. You will have to follow a similar process that you followed in August.
The prerequisite for September LCU is the same as the one released in August 2021. You will need to ensure the standalone SSU or June CU should be applied on all Windows 10 PCs. Otherwise, the SCCM Deployment of Windows 10 KB5005565 and KB5005566 patches are going to fail.
- Synchronizing update 514c014e-1bc2-4da5-ac25-79d7ea0f41df – 2021-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 21H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5005565)
- Synchronizing update 614bbc9b-8622-4714-a8e6-7ce950c15f4e – 2021-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 2004 for ARM64-based Systems (KB5005565)
- Synchronizing update c7f2b8e9-641b-4a9d-bc10-6e17174d0038 – 2021-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems (KB5005566)
- Synchronizing update 9a11c8f1-525f-4088-8fb7-33d7b56dd6dc – 2021-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5005565)
Deploy SSU KB5005260 Using SCCM
The respective SSU KB5005260 for Windows 10 version should be installed. One of the examples of SSU for Windows 10 version 21H1 is given below. Make sure to deploy the SSU using SCCM.
- 2021-08 Servicing Stack Update for Windows 10 Version 21H1 for x64-based Systems (KB5005260) should be installed
How to Deploy KB5005565 Using SCCM
The September patches (LCUs) for Windows 10 versions will be available in the SCCM console after the sync. You can follow the SCCM patching process to install the standalone SSU mentioned in the above section and the LCUs to complete the patching process for Sep 2021.
- Best SCCM Patching Software Update Deployment Process Guide
- ConfigMgr Software Updates Deployment Evaluation Cycle | Client Action
Anoop is Microsoft MVP! He is a Solution Architect on enterprise client management with more than 20 years of experience (calculation done in 2021) in IT. He is Blogger, Speaker, and Local User Group HTMD Community leader. His main focus is on Device Management technologies like SCCM 2012, Current Branch, Intune. He writes about technologies like ConfigMgr, Windows 11, Windows 10, Azure AD, Microsoft Intune, Windows 365, AVD, etc.…