The SCCM Patching Software Update Deployment Process Guide | ConfigMgr | Configuration Manager | SCCM? This guide is again a video tutorial to help the IT Pros in learning the patching (a.k.a Software Update patching) process with the latest version of SCCM. Patch Software Update Deployment Process Guide.
Let’s understand how to install WSUS for ConfigMgr Software Update Point Role | SUP | SCCM and install SUP role. Also, learn how to Create Deploy New Software Update Patch Package Using SCCM | ConfigMgr.
This video guide is the high-level Patching Guide for SCCM beginners. There is no much difference between SCCM 2012 patching and SCCM Current Branch Patching.
What is SCCM Patching?
All software applications/drivers need to go through the software release life cycle. This Software release life cycle includes bug fixing and improvements.
To fix the bugs of software and drivers, each vendor releases a patch. The process of deploying/installing these patches to one or more systems or devices is called software patching.
Patching all existing applications is mandatory for organizations. The patching process helps to keep the environment secure.
The software vendors like Microsoft, Adobe, Android, iOS, macOS, Linux, and Unix OSes, etc. release patches. These patches cover bug fixes for their software.
SCCM Patching Process is Explained – Updated one
The end to end SCCM free training is shared in the below post – Free SCCM Training Part 1 | 17 Hours Of Latest Technical Content | ConfigMgr Lab HTMD Blog (anoopcnair.com)
- Install WSUS for ConfigMgr Software Update Point Role
- Launch Server Manager, Select Destination Server, Select Server Roles, Select Features, Windows Server Update Services, Select Role Services to Install WSUS, Content-Location Selection for WSUS, Database Instance Selection, Web Server Role (IIS), Select Roles Services for IIS, Install & Confirm Installation Selection, Complete WSUS Installation, Cancel WSUS Configuration Wizard, Completion – Install WSUS for ConfigMgr SUP
- Post Installation of WSUS Failed – WSUS service is disabled?
- WSUS Reinstallation steps explained
- WSUS post-installation completed without any issues
- Install ConfigMgr Software Update Point (SUP)
- Add Site Systems Roles, Select a Server to Use as a Site System, Specify Internet Proxy Server, Specify Roles for this Server, Specify Software Update Point Settings, Specify Proxy & Account Settings for Software Update Point, Specify synchronization source settings, Synchronization Settings, Select Behavior for Software Updates are Superseded, Configure WSUS Maintenance Behavior, Configure Maximum Run Time, Specify Configuration for Software Update Content, Select the Software update classifications that you want to Synchronize, Select the Products that You Want to Synchronize, Specify the Language Settings that you want to Synchronize and Confirm the Settings
- Do Not Setup SUP with Default WSUS Product Selection ConfigMgr SCCM
- Log files to troubleshoot SUPSetup.log, WsyncMgr.log, WCM.log, and WSUSCtrl.log
- Initiate WSUS Sync twice – First is to update the category – products list for Software update components
- Initiate WSUS Sync second to update the KB articles metadata. This is completed only after the second sync.
- WSUS Cleanup option – SCCM WSUS Cleanup – Fix SCCM Scan Timeout Errors
Why a Patching Guide? Patch Software Update Deployment Process
Recently, I saw someone is looking for a video tutorial related to SCCM Software Updates in our Facebook group (which has about 11000 members now).
I thought ok, let me create a quick 25 minutes video to cover the software update process in SCCM CB. I tried to give a quick overview of the end to end SCCM Software Update (patching) process.
Learn SCCM Software Update Patching Guide
The process is explained in the Video !! Patch Software Update Deployment Process?
- SUP Installation log files
- Software Update Component Configuration – Classifications/Products
- Software Update Sync – Log file WsyncMgr.log
- Selection of Patch/Software Update and Creation of Software Update Group
- Deployment of Software Update Group
- End User Experience at Windows 10 1511 device
- What happened to WindowsUpdate.log??
- How to Speed up SCCM policy flow ?
- Windows 10 SCCM Client side logs – Reboot required ? If yes reboot the Windows 10 1511 device
I would recommend Reading Third-Party Patching Best Practices for an Organization guide for non Microsoft app patching process.
Patch Software Update Deployment Process Guide | ConfigMgr | Configuration Manager | SCCM?