Whenever you have a Zero Day patch and you don’t have the patches in WSUS? What are the options you have as an SCCM admin to patch your Windows 10 devices? How to Fix the issue of latest Zero Day patch missing from SCCM. How to import them into WSUS console manually?
In General, most of the time Microsoft will release the update with WSUS metadata catalog information. Sometime, MS will release individual updates which are not part of the WSUS catalog. In this scenario, we need to import the updates into the WSUS console using Windows Catalog Agent.
NOTE! – Microsoft will be publishing these patches to WSUS soon. Probably by end of the day today!
- WSUS Server to have internet access to import the metadata from Microsoft to WSUS Console
- The Internet Explorer need add-on ‘Microsoft Update Catalog’ to find the updates from MS site or it will be prompted when trying to open the Microsoft update catalog web site URL – http://catalog.update.microsoft.com
Overall Process – Fix Zero Day Patch Missing from SCCM
Technical Steps to Import the MS update (hotfixes) metadata in WSUS
Login into Upstream (First) SUP WSUS server
Open the Windows Server Update Services with ‘Run as administrative‘ from Administrative tools
Click ‘Yes’ in the User Access Control window
In Left-hand panel select Updates and click Import Updates…in the right-hand panel
Input the KB article number and click the Search icon
Identify the required patch as per the environment and click Add
The metadata is added in the View Basket with update count
Input the another KB article number and click Search
Select the required KB article and Click Add
Click View Basket, the total update count is visible
Ensure all the required updates are selected and click Import icon
The select updates metadata information is being imported in WSUS console
The update metadata updates are imported into WSUS Console
How to check the Updates are Available in WSUS console
Open the WSUS Console, Expand the Updates tab
Select All Updates and click the Search icon in the right hand panel
Enter the KB article ID which is recently imported, click Find Now
Updates are available in WSUS console
How to Sync from WSUS to SCCM database
- Open the SCCM Console,
- Select the Software Library,
- Expand Software Updates,
- Select ‘All Software Updates‘ and right-click and select ‘Synchronization Software updates‘
- Open the WSUSSYnc.log from Site server, you can find the imported update information.