ConfigMgr SCCM 2012 SP1 Upgrade Checklist? Are you looking SCCM ConfigMgr 2012 R2 upgrade checklist? Please go over here :
Re-download the CM 2012 SP1 if you’ve downloaded it before 25-Jan-2012. There are updates in the binaries. More details here. How to update the client to SCCM 2012 SP1?
ConfigMgr SCCM 2012 SP1 Upgrade Checklist
What are the options available this will be the next challenge? More information on client upgrade to SP1 here. There is a Cumulative Update 1 for ConfigMgr 2012 SP1. CU1 and CU2 resolve some of the Known Issues of SP1. More details about CU2 fixes are here.
Few Eye-Catching Bullet Points
1. Top to Down approach. Need to upgrade the CAS server (if you’ve one) first then primary and secondary servers.
2. Take a backup of CAS as well as Primary servers. Ensure that you have a good copy (I would suggest having 2 copies just in case) of backup.
3. Install Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (Windows ADK). Available here.
4. Disable the site maintenance task “Delete Aged Client Operations” on primary sites. This is an interesting step, this is the first time I’m hearing about it. More details are available in the following TechNet link.
5. Create a copy of all the build-in collections IF you’ve modified those. In ConfigMgr 2012 SP1 the built-in collections are read-only and cannot be modified. Isn’t that interesting?
6. Run the prerequisite checker, 1 or 2 days prior to the actual upgrade. It would be easy to identify whether there is any issue with prerequisites or not.
7. Download prerequisite files and redistributable files which are required for ConfigMgr 2012 SP1.
8. Take a copy of CM 2012 DB and attach it to a test SQL server and run test the database upgrade.
10. Uninstall the previous version of Windows Automated Installation Kit (AIK) from the server before installing the new version.
11. Go through the KB article 2801416 to understand the process that we need to follow before the SP1 upgrade.
12. Apply the following hotfix 2801987 before upgrading ConfigMgr 2012 SP1 Client.
More Details on System Center 2012 Configuration Manager SP1 Upgrade checklist HERE.
Some other important topics which we need to take care of after the upgrade process is also available at Considerations For Upgrading to CM 2012 SP1.
There is no supported way to uninstall Service Pack 1, more details are available at the bottom of the above-mentioned link.
Anoop is Microsoft MVP! He is a Solution Architect in enterprise client management with more than 20 years of experience (calculation done in 2021) in IT. He is a blogger, Speaker, and Local User Group HTMD Community leader. His main focus is on Device Management technologies like SCCM 2012, Current Branch, and Intune. E writes about ConfigMgr, Windows 11, Windows 10, Azure AD, Microsoft Intune, Windows 365, AVD, etc…