Now, you can check ConfigMgr applications from Intune Portal (a.k.a Microsoft Endpoint Manager admin center). Let’s check a new tenant attach ConfigMgr Applications feature made available with the release of ConfigMgr 2006.
Let’s revise the details about applications from the ConfigMgr console. We will see more details about how to check the application from the Intune portal and initiate an install action in the following sections of this post.
Also, let’s have a quick check about the prerequisite to enable Application access from the Intune portal.
To Enable ConfigMgr Applications from the Intune Portal feature, you need to have the following prerequisites completed.
- At least one application deployed to a device collection with the An administrator must approve a request for this application on the device option set on the deployment.
NOTE! – User-targeted applications or applications without the approval option set don’t appear in the application list in the Intune portal (admin center).
- User targeted applications or applications without the approval option set don’t appear in the application list
- All the prerequisites for Tenant attach should be in place.
- A minimum supported version of ConfigMgr is 2006 to enable all the features explained in the post.
- All sites in the hierarchy must meet the minimum ConfigMgr version (2006 +) requirement.
- ConfigMgr clients must be running the latest version client.
- You should have appropriate permission to deploy and install the Application from SCCM and Intune.
What is ConfigMgr Application
You can deploy and install applications to a device or user collection in Configuration Manager. This is one of the most used features in ConfigMgr. You can check the details of the application from the following path.
- Launch SCCM console
- \Software Library\Overview\Application Management\Applications
- You can deploy MSI, EXE, MSIX applications using the ConfigMgr Applications feature.
Admin Approval Option
You have to make sure the following option is enabled for all the applications that should be available in the Admin center or Intune portal via the tenant attach feature.
You can find the application approval option from the Deploy software wizard or deployment properties.
- An administrator must approve a request for the application on the device
NOTE! – You don’t have to separately enable Approve application requests for users per device option from update anymore. Because it’s NOT an optional feature from 2006.
Enable ConfigMgr Applications from Intune Portal
Let’s learn how to open an application control from Intune Portal. Once you have completed all the prerequisites of Tenant attach, you would be able to see all the SCCM managed devices in the Intune portal.
- Open Admin Center – Intune Portal – https://endpoint.microsoft.com/
- Select the Devices node then click on All Devices.
- Click on Windows.
- Select the device that is synced from SCCM via tenant attach.
- Use the Search option to find the device.
- Click on the devices with the following option – Managed By ConfigMgr.
- Select Application (preview) from the Intune portal to view the ConfigMgr applications available for the user.
- MS Edge
Let’s continue and check the results now by clicking on applications available in Intune.
- Click on 7-Zip – This is deployed to Device collection!
- You can try clicking on the Retry Installation button to test reinstall the app directly from Intune portal or admin center.
- Click MS Edge – This application is deployed to User Collection!
- This application is deployed to the user. MEMCM\anoop must be signed in for the installation to complete.
NOTE! – There is a difference of requirements based on user/device deployment.
- Let’s try to reinstall the MS Edge application by clicking on Retry Installation:
- You can see the notification that MS Edge was installed on device PROD-WIN20.
Troubleshooting & Logs
You can check the logs on the SCCM site server to get more details about the actions performed from the Intune portal.
👉👉👉The following logs might help CMGatewayNotificationWorker.log & AdminService.log.
- SCCM Tenant Attach Background Process Walkthrough via Logs
- Fix ConfigMgr Tenant Attach Error 401 403 | Missing Config| SCCM
- Approve applications in Configuration Manager
- Tenant attach: Install an application from the admin center
- Enable SCCM Resource Explorer from Intune Portal | ConfigMgr
Anoop is Microsoft MVP! He is a Solution Architect in enterprise client management with more than 20 years of experience (calculation done in 2021) in IT. He is a blogger, Speaker, and Local User Group HTMD Community leader. His main focus is on Device Management technologies like SCCM 2012, Current Branch, and Intune. E writes about ConfigMgr, Windows 11, Windows 10, Azure AD, Microsoft Intune, Windows 365, AVD, etc…