In this post, you will see an end-user guide to install & Subscribe to Windows RD Client for AVD manually. I will cover the automatic installation of the Windows RD Client for AVD in the upcoming posts.
You will need to check the following post to know more about Azure Virtual Desktop (AVD) web client access details. How To Connect AVD Remote Desktop Resources Client Browser. Also, AVD Troubleshooting Options Tips Tricks are useful too.
Download RD Client for AVD
- Install the MSI Remote Desktop_***.msi (Admin access is required if you are installing it manually)
NOTE! – I will cover Intune/SCCM installation options of RD client for AVD in the future posts.
- Click Next
- Click on Accept and Next
- Select Install Just for you and click Next
- Click on Finish and Launch
Subscribe RD Client for AVD
- Click on Subscribe Button
NOTE! – MFA options will be available with subscription and AAD Conditional Access
- Sign-in / Login with your user ID with cloud UPN (@howtomanagedevices.com) and click NEXT
NOTE! – This will redirect to the Federated Login Page (AD FS) where you have to enter a password (username might automatically get populated) and click Sign-In
- Once successfully signed in with your user ID you would be able to see host pools and remote apps assigned to your user.
- Right Click on the host pool icon to change the display settings (the default settings is FULL Screen). Click on Settings
- Select the following options DISPLAY as per your preference (following is my favorite settings).
- User Default Settings => Off
- Display Settings => Off
- Start in full screen => Off
- Update the resolution on resize => Yes
- Resolution => 200%
- Fit session to Windows => On
- Double click on Host Pool the icon to launch the Remote Desktop. Enter the password and click ok OK.
NOTE! – SSO is coming soon into RD AVD client. More details here.
- Remote Desktop will get connected
How to check the RD Client Update
New versions of Windows RD Client for AVD is automatically updated.
- Check the version of AVD RD Application – Click on (…) About -> Check for Updates to check whether there any update.
Troubleshooting – RD Client for AVD
- Check the version of AVD RD Application – Click on (…) -> Update Status – Click on Update Now.
NOTE! – If there is any error here near the update status. You won’t be launching Remote Desktop and Remote Apps
Shortcuts to Launch Remote Desktops and Apps
- AVD Video Play List ➡➡https://aka.ms/WVDPlaylist
- AVD AMA 28th Aug 2019 Windows Virtual Desktop Microsoft AVD FAQs from AMA
- Microsoft VDI Story AVD Concept Setup Guide Myths Known Issues
- SCCM Intune Support for Persistent Non-Persistent VDI VMs
- How to Connect AVD Remote Desktop Resources Client or Browser?
Anoop is Microsoft MVP! He is a Solution Architect on enterprise client management with more than 17 years of experience (calculation done in 2018) in IT. He is Blogger, Speaker, and Local User Group HTMD Community leader. His main focus is on Device Management technologies like SCCM 2012, Current Branch, Intune. He writes about technologies like ConfigMgr, Windows 11, Windows 10, Azure AD, Microsoft Intune, Windows 365, ACD, etc.…