I spoke at a global WVD event (Microsoft meets Community: Windows virtual Desktop virtual event 3rd XXL edition) on the 11th of Dec about the topic WVD Management with Intune. I share the details about the presentation and Windows Virtual Desktop experience with modern management tools like Intune in this post.
My session was the fourth (4th) one in the event and the session topic was “Sharing Tips and Tricks on how to Manage Windows Virtual Desktop via Intune in Microsoft Endpoint Manager“. You can download the PDF version of the presentation and you can also have a recording of the event soon.
I tried to set the context of the WVD management in the first slide.
- Why do you want to manage WVD with Intune?
- When should you start WVD Management with Intune?
Hybrid AAD Join & Group Policy
Let’s go through some of the technical configurations and prerequisites that we need to complete before WVD Intune management.
- Make sure the VMs are Hybrid AAD Join
- MDM Group Policy for All WVD VMs
Azure AD Conditional Access & Groups
Modern management of WVD with Intune and Azure AD comes with some quick wins. This modern management helps to enable Multi Factor Authentication (MFA) without any complex infra in place.
- Modern Security Parameters with Azure AD CA
- Dynamic Azure AD user/device groups
End User Experience
Let’s check what is the end user experience for single session users. Microsoft is improving enrollment experience in coming months. Let’s wait and see.
- The WVD VM will be ready to use immediately after the Intune enrollment
- Azure AD registration of the VMs happens immediately after the VM provisioning process.
Security Policies for WVD
Let’s check how to deploy security policies in the WVD modern management world with Intune. I have seen organizations follow the CIS benchmark system to Secure Windows Desktop and laptop devices. However, Windows 10 CSPs changed the way of applying security policies.
This is the modern way of securing devices with MDM policies. As you can see in the slide, the National Cyber Security Center of UK Govt did an excellent job to release a benchmark to secure Windows 10 devices using CSPs.
- National Cyber Security Center NCSC.gov.uk Guideline for MDM security baseline using CSPs
- Security Policies should be deployed either using
- Intune Administrative Templates (Preferred for WVD)
- Security Baselines
Let’s understand Intune application deployment options for WVD in this slide. You can deploy almost all types of applications using Intune app deployment frameworks. There are app types that are supported natively by Windows 10 MDM management tools and those types are MSIX and simple MSI etc.
- Deploy Apps using Intune
- Complex Apps need to converted (zipped) to Intune win32 format
- Conversion Tool created by Damien Van Robaeys [MVP]
Patching & Windows 10 Upgrade
Let’s have a look into patching scenarios in WVD modern management world with Intune. Also explained How the monthly patching and Windows 10 upgrade scenarios are handled. The big difference here with Intune management is Windows Update for Business instead of WSUS.
- Monthly Patching is managed via Windows Update for Business (WUfB) policies
- Windows 10 Upgrade policies are configured through WUfB feature update policies
Let’s download the PDF from GitHub repository – https://github.com/AnoopCNair/WVD-Intune-Management-PDF
Indian Windows Virtual Desktop User Group #INWVDUG
Today we announced the Indian Windows Virtual Desktop User Group (#INWVDUG). Welcome Windows Virtual Desktop (WVD) enthusiasts around the world.
There are several options to connect with us online. The following are some of the options:
- Twitter ➡ https://twitter.com/inwvdug
- Meetup Group ➡ https://www.meetup.com/inwvdug-indian-wvd-user-group/
- Telegram Group ➡ https://t.me/wvdcommunity
- Linkedin Group ➡ https://www.linkedin.com/groups/10491724/
- Facebook Group ➡ https://www.facebook.com/groups/244834119748980