ConfigMgr 2006 introduced a new option to help remote worker scenarios. I have explained how to optimize ConfigMgr infrastructure for remote workers. Let’s see how to enable access for ConfigMgr Intranet Clients can Use CMG Software Update Point.
From the 2006 version onwards, the ConfigMgr intranet clients can access the CMG software update point. The CMG SUP should be assigned to a boundary group.
The ConfigMgr Intranet Clients can use the CMG Software Update Point option as another option to help and enable the remote worker’s scenarios. Microsoft introduced a new set of ConfigMgr Management Insights called Optimize for Remote Workers.
- When an internet machine connects to the VPN, it will continue scanning against the CMG software update point over the internet.
- If the only software update point for the boundary group is the CMG software update point, then all intranet and internet devices will scan against it.
Allow Configuration Manager Cloud Management Gateway traffic
Let’s enable the option to allow SCCM CMG traffic for intranet client devices connected through a VPN.
- Navigate to \Administration\Overview\Site Configuration\Servers and Site System Roles
- Click on the site system server where you have installed Software Update Point
- Right-click on the Software Update Point site system role
- Select Properties options
- On the General Tab (ConfigMgr 2006 onwards)
- Select the option called “Allow Configuration Manager Cloud Management Gateway traffic“
- Click OK
Make sure you have added the CMG Software Update Point to the Boundary group to make sure the VPN clients will receive the details of the CMG server.
Client-side validation can be done using locationservices.log. Make sure you have CMG related entry in the log file to confirm the changes on the client-side.
- SCCM CMG SUP selection option for intranet client
- ConfigMgr Management Insights – https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/servers/manage/management-insights
Anoop is Microsoft MVP! He is a Solution Architect in enterprise client management with more than 20 years of experience (calculation done in 2021) in IT. He is a blogger, Speaker, and Local User Group HTMD Community leader. His main focus is on Device Management technologies like SCCM 2012, Current Branch, and Intune. E writes about ConfigMgr, Windows 11, Windows 10, Azure AD, Microsoft Intune, Windows 365, AVD, etc…