Let’s quickly check the process to create Windows 11 SCCM device collection process. Microsoft released the 2107 version of Configuration Manager (a.k.a SCCM), which supports Windows 11 PCs. So, it’s worth creating a dynamic device collection for grouping all Windows 11 devices.
Grouping of Windows 11 PCs dynamically will help admins target applications and policies only to those devices. However, before going into further details of the creation process, let’s pause and analyze the best practices you need to follow while creating a dynamic collection.
Let’s have a quick look at the Windows 11 build numbers and version numbers. The Windows 11 version build number starts with 22000. I think it’s safe to assume that the build number is still supported in Windows 11 world, unlike the ReleaseID (deprecated).
Best way to Create Windows 11 SCCM Device Collection
Let’s have a look into the best options to create Windows 11 SCCM device collection. There are several ways to query all devices in your SCCM environment and select only Windows 11 devices. I think you will need to settle down with the optimized WQL query to build a collection for All Window 11 Devices.
You can analyze the performance of the queries using different options in SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM properties. The following is the list of options you have to build All Windows 11 device collection in SCCM. I think you will need to use Build Number or Caption properties to group all Windows 11 devices.
- Build Number -> Example for Windows 11 build versio -> 22000
- Caption -> Example for Caption for Windows 11 -> Microsoft Windows 11 Enterprise
- Version -> Example for Windows 11 Full version number -> 10.0.22000.100
- Name -> Example for Name of Windows 11 OS -> Microsoft Windows 11 Enterprise|C:\WINDOWS|\Device\Harddisk0\Partition2
The Windows 11 version number property would be helpful to create an SCCM device collection of Windows 11 devices with a particular update or hotfix installed. I would avoid using the Name property because you might need to use the % symbol to filter things, which is not good for the performance of the WQL collection query.
Create All Windows 11 Devices Collections
Now, it’s time to learn how to create SCCM Windows 11 device collection (dynamic). The ConfigMgr Windows 11 Device Collection can be created using the following steps.
- Navigate to SCCM console – Assets and Compliance – Device Collections to create Windows 10 Device.
- Right-click and select “Create Device Collection” from the Device Collections node.
- From the General page, provide a Name and a Comment (optional).
- You can be limiting the collection; choose to Browse to select a limiting collection. The collection contains members from the limiting collection
- -> Avoid using All Systems collection as limiting collection.
- Click on the NEXT button.
- On the Membership Rules page of the Create Device Collection Wizard, in the Add Rule list, select the type Query Rule membership rule for this collection.
- You can configure multiple rules for each collection if there is a requirement. This is not required for creating All Windows 11 device collection.
- Enter the name of the Dynamic query – All Windows 11 Devices.
- Click on Edit Query Statement to add All Windows 11 devices.
- Click on Critiria tab and then Show query Language button.
Copy any of the below WQL queries to build a query statement for grouping All Windows 11 Devices in your SCCM. Before that, you will need to decide whether you will use a WQL query based on the Build Number of the Windows 11 operating system or based on the Caption value of the Windows 11 Operating System.
Windows 11 Dynamic Device Collection based on Build Number
I think this is the best query to create a collect all Windows 11 devices based on build numbers. You can also use the WQL based on Caption to group only the enterprise version of Windows 11 devices.
select * from SMS_R_System inner join SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM on SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM.ResourceId = SMS_R_System.ResourceId where SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM.BuildNumber >= "20000" and SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM.BuildNumber < "30000"
Collection Based on Windows OS Caption
You can use caption property as another option to build the All Windows 11 Device collection. But, you need to be careful whether you need to include only the enterprise version of Windows 11 or plan to use both enterprise and professional versions of Windows 11. The following query covers only the Enterprise version.
select * from SMS_R_System inner join SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM on SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM.ResourceId = SMS_R_System.ResourceId where SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM.Caption = "Microsoft Windows 11 Enterprise"
Let’s copy any query statements and create a dynamic device collection for Windows 11 devices. I’m going to use Build number as an example in this post. You can click on Green Video like the button to evaluate the WQL query using the SCCM collection query preview tool.
- Click OK, OK, and Next button to continue to schedule option page of SCCM collection creation wizard.
Schedule Windows 11 Dynamic Device Collection
You can now configure the regular update options for Windows 11 device collection. The regular update of the collection with new Windows 11 devices is achieved through Schedule options.
By default, the schedule is 7 seven days. However, in the real-world probably, you might need to change the schedule to get better results. You can click on the Schedule button to change the schedule and select the custom interval – Recur every – 1 – day. Click on the OK button to continue.
Note! – Don’t configure a concise schedule for updates. However, you will need to ensure that you have an automatic schedule to update the dynamic collections. Also, I think an incremental update option is good for All Windows 11 collections during the migration phase.
- Enable the following option – Use Incremental updates for this collection.
- Keep the default value – Schedule a full update on this collection – once in every 7 days.
- Click on the Next, Next, Close button to finish the creation of All Windows 11 Devices.
- Windows 11 Version Numbers Build Numbers
- How to Configure Collection Size Limits for Task Sequence Deployment Settings | Configuration Manager | SCCM