Let’s check How to upgrade to SCCM 2107 version. Microsoft released the latest version of 2107 of Microsoft Endpoint Manager Configuration Manager. The 2107 version of the Configuration Manager is now generally available. I have published a list of SCCM 2107 known issues as well.
The biggest news coming out with the 2107 version is that the Co-management node is renamed Cloud Attach. The new CMG deployments use a virtual machine scale set with the 2107 version of Configuration Manager. This version is the most secured version where the client uses the AES-256 encryption algorithm when you enable the site to Use encryption.
SCCM self-signed certificate used with enhanced HTTP scenarios now supports clients storing the self-signed certificates in hardware TPM. . This step-by-step guide provides all the details that you require to perform SCCM Server Upgrade to 2107. You can check out my top 5 features of SCCM 2107.
Top 5 New Features of SCCM 2107 Version – HTMD Community
Upgrade SCCM Primary Server Infra to 2107 – A quick overview of the upgrade process
What is Opt--in Ring of ConfigMgr 2107 (not applicable now)
The early update ring is the option given to organizations to get the newest version of Configuration Manager Current Branch using an opt-in PowerShell script.
Slow ring release of SCCM production will be available for all “online” versions of the service connection point. The General availability of the Configuration Manager 2107 version is now available without an opt-in script. The opt-in version is fully supported for production servers.
Prerequisites of 2107 Version
The following is a quick list of prerequisites for the Configuration Manager 2107 primary server upgrade. Make sure you have gone through all these 12 points before starting the SCCM 2107 production version upgrade.
NOTE! – The SCCM site system can’t download version 2107 or later unless your network allows traffic to the URL configmgrbits.azureedge.net.
- The following SCCM versions are supported for the upgrade to 2107.
- Install update 2107 at the top-level site of your hierarchy (CAS or Standalone Primary).
- SCCM version should have an online Service Connection Point.
- Evaluate Checklist – below section has more details.
- Upgrade to a supported version of Windows ADK 2004 & more details here.
- Evaluate SQL Requirements for SCCM 2107 Upgrade – here
- SQL Server 2012 ends on July 12, 2022. Plan to upgrade database servers in your environment, including SQL Server Express at secondary sites.
- Evaluate Windows Server OS Requirements for ConfigMgr 2107 site server – here
- With 2107 release, Server 2022 is supported as SCCM site system.
- Evaluate Supported OS versions for clients and devices – here
- Windows 11 and Server 2022 are supported.
- Evaluate Supported OS versions for ConfigMgr consoles – here
- Evaluate Recommended hardware – here
- Support for Windows features and networks – here
- Evaluate Support for virtualization environments – here
- Evaluate the Firewall Rules – More details here and here
2107 Version Upgrade Check List
The following are the high-level checklist provided by Microsoft. Before starting the Configuration Manager 2107 primary server upgrade in a production environment, let’s go through this list.
- All sites run a supported version of Configuration Manager.
- Review the status of your product licensing.
- Review Microsoft .NET versions (recommended version is 4.8).
- Review the version of the Windows ADK for Windows 10/Windows 11/Server 2022.
- Review Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019 redistributable version 14.28.29914.0.
- Review SQL Server Native Client version.
- Review file and data replication between sites
- Database replication.
- File-based replication.
- Install all applicable critical Windows updates.
- Disable database replicas for management points at primary sites.
- Set SQL Server AlwaysOn availability groups to manual failover.
- Disable site maintenance tasks at each site.
- Temporarily stop any antivirus software.
- Back up customized files.
- Plan for client piloting.
- Plan to use service windows.
- Review supported extensions.
- Run the setup prerequisite checker (I recommend running prerequisite check 2 days or a week before the production upgrade).
- Update sites.
More detailed information about the ConfigMgr 2107 installation checklist is given below https://docs.microsoft.com/en.
Offline Scenario – SCCM Server 2107 Upgrade
To download the update when your service connection point is offline, use the service connection tool. More details about the process are explained in the post SCCM Upgrade with an Offline Service Connection Point| ConfigMgr.
Download / Enable ConfigMgr Version 2107
SCCM 2107 is now available without PowerShell script. You don’t have to follow the steps mentioned below.
This section is only applicable for the opt-in version of ConfigMgr. Let’s go through the steps to initiate the download of the opt-in version of Configuration Manager 2107 using the PowerShell script. Once the update is downloaded, you can start the installation of the 2107 version of SCCM. To enable the early ring version of ConfigMgr 2107, use the PowerShell script. Download and Run the following PowerShell command. Version 2107 opt-in script (EnableEarlyUpdateRing2107.exe)
How to Upgrade to SCCM 2107 Step by Step Guide
You will have to follow the steps to start the Configuration Manager 2107 upgrade process. I always recommend performing prerequisite checks a couple of days or a week before the actual upgrade so that you won’t get any surprise issues during the actual upgrade change window.
- Launch ConfigMgr console & navigate through \Administration\ Overview \Updates and Servicing.
- Check 2107 version update of ConfigMgr is already available or not? You should have online version of service connection point or you might have used the offline method explained above to get the latest version of ConfigMgr.
- If not, click on the “Check for Updates” button from the ribbon menu.
- Click OK to continue.Configuration Manager 2107 update is available and Downloading.
NOTE! – Check the DMPDownloader.log to get more details. More details about the log files are available here.
ConfigMgr Server Upgrade to 2107
By this time, the download of SCCM version 2107 must be completed successfully, and the version 2107 update is Ready to Install, then you can then start the upgrade process.
- Right Click on the Update “Configuration Manager 2107” Update
- Select PreRequisite Check
- Once the Prerequisite Check is completed successfully proceed to the next step
- Right Click on the Update “Configuration Manager 2107” Update
- Click on Install Update to start the SCCM 2107 installation
NOTE! – Make sure you have completed the prerequisites checks steps two days or a week before the actual upgrade to the 2107 version of ConfigMgr.
- Client Update Settings page configuration
- Upgrade without validating (Direct Production Upgrade)
- Validate in pre-production collection (Test the client before the upgrade)
- Click the NEXT button to continue
- Click on “I accept these License Terms and Privacy Statement“
- Click on the Next button to continue
- Click Next, and Next to continue
- Click on Close to continue to the installation process of 2107 and close the wizard.
NOTE! – More details about client upgrade options are available in the following blog. SCCM Client Upgrade Promote Pre-Production Client to Production.
NOTE! To take full advantage of new ConfigMgr features, update the site and update clients to the latest version.
SCCM 2107 Upgrade Completed
The following 5(Five) sections have been completed as part of the SCCM 2107 installation.
- Download – Completed
- Replication – Completed
- Prerequisite Check – Completed with some warnings
- Installation – Completed
- Post Installation – Completed
Admin Console Upgrade to 2107 Version
The last step of the ConfigMgr 2107 installation is by upgrading the console of the Primary servers & the CAS server.
You need to make sure all your remote SCCM console installations are upgraded to the latest version. This is not critical if your remote SCCM console is already running with the n-1 version (where n = 2107 in this scenario). That means you can use the 2010 version of the console with the 2107 version of the primary server.
- SCCM 2107 version of Console -> 5.2107.1059.2000
Upgrade SCCM Primary Server Infra to 2017 – A quick overview of the upgrade process video – https://youtu.be/m9gkLZd41i0
Quick Fact Checks
Let’s have a quick fact check of SCCM 2107.
Is SCCM 2107 version production ready?
Yes, it’s production-ready, even though this is in an opt-in release.
What is the latest baseline version of ConfigMgr?
2103 is the latest baseline version of Configuration Manager (a.k.a SCCM)
Is Remote Support via CMG supported with ConfigMgr 2107 version?
No, Remote Support via CMG is not supported yet. But private preview options are available.
Is Windows 11 fully supported with ConfigMgr / SCCM 2107 version?
Yes, Windows 11 is fully supported.
Is Server 2022 supported with ConfigMgr / SCCM 2107 version?
Yes, you can now install the ConfigMgr server on server 2022, and this is fully supported. Also, you can manage the 2022 server as an SCCM client.
What is the minimum client version for SCCM 2107?
What is the ConfigMgr 2107 admin Console Version?
What is the Configuration Manager 2107 Build version?
- SCCM 2103 Known Issues and Fixes.
- Possible Issues with SCCM 2012 to CB Current Branch Upgrade
- SCCM CB DMPDownloader Troubleshooting with State Messages
- ConfigMgr 2107 Release notes from Microsoft.