Let’s understand how to fix Windows update issues for Windows 11. The basic troubleshooting steps to fix the Windows updates issues for Windows 11 are shared in this document. Most of the update issues are solved by just restarting the Windows 11 PC. Windows 11 upgrade is possible only when your PC meets minimum hardware requirements.
Windows update is essential for keeping Windows 11 secured. Windows 11 known issues/bugs are fixed with the latest version of the updates. You need to fix the update issues on priority when you have trouble getting updates or installing updates.
There could be many reasons for Windows update issues. First, you will need to connect the Windows 11 PC to the internet to get the updates. Also, always connect to power when you try to run a Windows 11 update. It’s recommended to take a backup of your personal data before trying out the below steps.
- Fix Windows Update Error 0x8007005 Failed To Restart
- Windows Upgrade Troubleshooting with Logs
- Enable Windows 11 Patching using SCCM WSUS
- Upgrade to Windows 11 using Intune Feature Update Deployment Policy
Common Windows Update Issues and Fixes
The following table gives you the resolution for the most common Windows update patching issues in Windows 10 and Windows 11 as well. The error codes will be similar to 0xC1900101 – 0x2000c, 0xC1900101 – 0x20017, 0xC1900101 – 0x30018, 0xC1900101 – 0x3000D, 0xC1900101 – 0x4000D, 0xC1900101 – 0x40017.
You can try to perform the following options one by one and check whether that helps to resolve the issue or not.
|Make sure that your device has enough space|
|Run Windows Update a few times|
|Check third-party drivers and download any updates|
|Unplug extra hardware|
|Check Device Manager for errors|
|Remove third-party security software|
|Repair hard-drive errors|
|Do a clean restart into Windows|
|Restore and repair system files|
Activation is not Required for Windows Updates
Windows 10 activation is not required to get Windows updates. I think Windows 11 will also follow the same experience. I don’t think Windows updates for Windows 11 require activation of Windows. However, Windows 11 activation is required for background/wallpaper change and some other features.
Windows 11 Event Logs for Windows Update Client/Agent
You will also need to check whether there is any particular error in the Windows update agent or client event logs. These event logs are always helpful if there are issues with health and communication.
Event Viewer –> Applications and Services Logs/Microsoft/Windows/WindowsUpdateClient/Operational
Windows 11 Updates Improvements
There are two or more types of Windows updates for Windows 11. The main ones are quality updates and feature updates. There are many improvements expected from Windows 11 updates. Some of those are explained in the Windows 11 Quality Updates Feature Updates Driver Updates Firmware Updates | CUs are 40% Smaller post.
- Quality Updates -> Monthly security patches and more.
- Feature Updates -> Windows 11 Operating System updates per year.
NOTE! – More details about Latest Windows 11 update experience are available in the latest post.
Troubleshoot Windows Update Issues for Windows 11
Let’s start the troubleshooting with basic steps. There are different stages in the Windows update. You need to make sure the following troubleshooting steps are already taken care of.
- Make sure you have enough free space in your C drive to install the latest Windows 11 updates.
- Restart the Windows 11 PC to make sure the previous updates are installed.
- Re-run the Windows updates again from Settings -> Windows Updates -> click on Check for updates.
- Remove the external hard disks.
Let’s run the Windows update troubleshooter to detect the Windows update issues for Windows 11 automatically. Most of the time, the update-related issues will be automatically detected and resolved by this default tool available in Windows 11.
- Navigate to Start -> Settings App.
- Click on System Tab.
- Scroll down and click on Troubleshoot (this is the recommended method).
Now, let’s click on the other troubleshooters option to start Windows Update troubleshooting. I recommend keeping the recommended troubleshooter preferences as Ask me before running.
On this settings page, you will get many troubleshooting options for different features of Windows 11. You can troubleshoot with internet connection issues, audio issues, printer issues, etc… Click on Window update -> Run option to launch the Software update troubleshooter.
The troubleshooter checks the default checks explained in the below section. You can click on view detailed information to get more details about the Issue found by the Windows update troubleshooter. Check for Windows Update issues Check for Windows Update issues. Detects issues related to Windows Update.
Default Windows Update Troubleshooter checks
The Windows update troubleshooter helps to find the potential issues windows update for Windows 11. Some of them are given below.
- Some security settings are missing or have been changed.
- Check for missing or corrupt files issues.
- Service registration is missing or corrupt issues.
- Background Intelligent Transfer Service – Find and fix problems that may prevent background downloads from working.
- Windows Network Diagnostics – Detects problems with network connectivity.
- WaaSMedicService related issues.
- Windows Update – Resolve common problems that prevent you from updating Windows.
Fix WIndows Update Issues for Windows 11
In this particular example, the software update issue is detected and fixed by the default troubleshooter. The Issue was related to WaaSMedicService.
The Issue is remediated by:ScheduledTasksPlugin;DynamicProtectionPlugin.
Advanced Fix for Windows 11 Software Updates
Try to rename the following folders and give a restart. If the folders are not getting renamed because of issues related to access or locked state. Make sure the BITs and Windows update services are stopped. Also, you try to use process explorer to find out the processes using the folders.
- Rename the following folder %systemroot%\softwaredistribution to softwaredistribution.bak
- Rename the following folder %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 to catroot2.bak
Common Error Codes of Windows 11 Updates and Fixes
The following table provides the details of Windows 11 Updates related to common error codes of Windows 11 updates and fixes. You can also use the command-line tool to convert Windows error code into error messages but I don’t think Windows update errors are covered under this command-line tool called Error Lookup Tool.
|Error Code||Error Message||Cause||FIX|
|0x8024402F||WU_E_PT_ECP_SUCCEEDED_WITH_ERRORS||External .cab file processing completed with some errors||This can be caused by the Lightspeed Rocket for web filtering software.|
Add the IP addresses of devices you want to get updates to the exceptions list of Lightspeed Rocket.
|0x80242006||WU_E_UH_INVALIDMETADATA||A handler operation could not be completed because the update contains invalid metadata.||Rename the software redistribution folder and try to download the updates again:|
Rename the following folders to *.BAK:
Type the following commands at a command prompt. Press ENTER after you type each command.
– Ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore *.bak
– Ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\Download *.bak
– Ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 *.bak
|0x80070BC9||ERROR_FAIL_REBOOT_REQUIRED||The requested operation failed. Restart the system to roll back changes made.||Ensure that you don’t have any policies that control the start behavior for the Windows Module Installer. This service should be managed by the operating system.|
|0x80200053||BG_E_VALIDATION_FAILED||Ensure that there are no firewalls that filter downloads. Such filtering could lead to incorrect responses being received by the Windows Update client.|
|0x80072EFD or 0x80072EFE or 0x80D02002||TIME_OUT_ERRORS||The operation timed out||Make sure there are no firewall rules or proxies that block Microsoft download URLs.|
Take a network monitor trace to understand better.
|0X8007000D||ERROR_INVALID_DATA||Indicates data that isn’t valid was downloaded or corruption occurred.||Attempt to re-download the update and start the installation.|
|0x8024A10A||USO_E_SERVICE_SHUTTING_DOWN||This indicates that the Windows Update Service is shutting down.||This can occur after a very long period of time of inactivity. The system fails to respond, leading to the service being idle and causing the service to shut down. Ensure that the system remains active and the connections remain established to complete the installation.|
|0x80240020||WU_E_NO_INTERACTIVE_USER||The operation did not complete because no interactive user is signed in.||Sign in to the device to start the installation and allow the device to restart.|
|CBS_E_CANNOT_UNINSTALL; Package cannot be uninstalled.||Typically this is due to component store corruption caused when a component is in a partially installed state.||Repair the component store with the Dism RestoreHealth command or manually repair with a payload from the partially installed component. From an elevated command prompt, run these commands:|
DISM /ONLINE /CLEANUP-IMAGE /SCANHEALTH
DISM /ONLINE /CLEANUP-IMAGE /CHECKHEALT
DISM /ONLINE /CLEANUP-IMAGE /RESTOREHEALTH
Restart the device.
|0x80070003||ERROR_PATH_NOT_FOUND; The system cannot find the path specified.||The servicing stack cannot access a specific path.||Indicates an invalid path to an executable. Go to %Windir%\logs\CBS, open the last CBS.log, and search for “, error” and match with the timestamp.|
|0x80070020||ERROR_SHARING_VIOLATION||Numerous causes. CBS log analysis required.||This error is usually caused by non-Microsoft filter drivers like antivirus.|
1. Perform a clean boot and retry the installation
2. Download the Sysinternals tool Process Monitor.
3. Run Procmon.exe. It will start data capture automatically.
4. Install the update package again
5. With the Process Monitor main window in focus, press CTRL + E or select the magnifying glass to stop data capture.
6. Select File – Save – All Events – PML, and choose a path to save the .PML file
7. Go to %windir%\logs\cbs, open the last Cbs.log file, and search for the error. After finding the error line a bit above, you should have the file being accessed during the installation that is giving the sharing violation error
8. In Process Monitor, filter for path and insert the file name (it should be something like “path” “contains” “filename from CBS”).
9. Try to stop it or uninstall the process causing the error.
Anoop is Microsoft MVP! He is a Solution Architect on enterprise client management with more than 17 years of experience (calculation done in 2018) in IT. He is Blogger, Speaker, and Local User Group HTMD Community leader. His main focus is on Device Management technologies like SCCM 2012, Current Branch, Intune. He writes about technologies like ConfigMgr, Windows 11, Windows 10, Azure AD, Microsoft Intune, Windows 365, ACD, etc.…