Let’s learn How to Reset the Windows PIN of a Windows 10 or Windows 11 device? Yes, it happened to me 🙂 Now it’s time to learn How to Reset your Windows PIN.
I forgot my Windows 10 or 11 PIN, which I set a few hours back. Now the question is how to reset the PIN of a Windows 10 or 11 laptop? The only way to set up your PIN again is to reset it.
If you use Windows PIN to access games, social networking, etc., you will need to log in from scratch in each place after you reset your Windows 10 PIN.
Latest Updated Post for Windows 11 – Best Methods to Reset Windows 11 PIN Fix Forgot PIN Issue
NOTE! – I have tested the reset pin option from Windows 11 devices on the production and insider versions. You can reset the Windows 11 PIN using your email ID and password. I have followed the same method explained in this post.
How to Reset Windows PIN of a Windows 10 Machine
You can get more details about Windows 10 PIN in the post “What is Windows 10 or Windows 11 PIN and How to Set PIN for Windows 10″.
Once you forget or lose your Windows 10 or 11 PIN, you may have to log in to your Windows 10 or Windows 11 PC with the Microsoft account password option, as highlighted in the following picture.
By default Windows 10 doesn’t provide you with the following screen; you need to press on Sign-in Options to get this screen.
How to Reset Windows PIN on Windows 11 PC
You can click on the RESET PIN using the following option called “I forgot my PIN” on Windows 11 device.
1. You will get a prompt to enter the password for the outlook account or any other Microsoft account that you have added to Windows 11 device.
2. Once you have verified a valid password for your Microsoft account, the forget PIN wizard needs another confirmation using the backup/recovery email ID that you have configured for your outlook account.
3. You need to enter the recovery email ID (for example it can be gmail.com id as well) and Microsoft forgot PIN workflow will send an authentication code to the recovery email ID.
4. Click on the recovery email as shown in the below screenshot to continue with Windows 11 PIN reset process.
5. Once the authentication code is entered from the recovery email ID. You need to confirm by clicking on the Continue button the RESET PIN to confirm the pin reset from Windows 11 device.
Enter the new Windows 11 PIN twice and click on OK to login back to the Windows 11 device.
Windows PIN Reset using email ID login Option
Let’s try to reset the Windows 10 PIN using the email ID recovery option.
There is no option to retrieve the lost PIN via email or something. The main reason for this is because Windows PIN is “so local”:) The only way to reset the Windows 10 PIN is to set up a NEW pin.
Once you log in with your email ID and password, you can reset the Windows 10 PIN. To reset the Windows Pin for Windows 10 machine, go to Setting –> Accounts –> Sign-in Options and click on I forgot my PIN.
How to Reset Windows PIN of a Windows 10 Machine?
FIX How to Reset Windows PIN of a Windows 10 or Windows 11 Machine?
Once you click on “I forgot my PIN”, the new page “Are you sure you forgot your PIN” will get opened, and you need to click on the continue button to proceed further. On the next page of Windows 10 (or Windows 11) reset the PIN, and it will ask you to enter your Microsoft Account password to proceed further.
This is just another layer of security before resetting the Windows 10 PIN for the machine. Enter the Microsoft account (Outlook, Hotmail, etc..) password and click on the Sign-in button.
You need to validate and verify your identity using a security code, as you can see in the following screen capture. When accessing sensitive info from your account or device, or if Microsoft detects suspicious account activity, they may ask for a security code to verify your identity.
If you sign in frequently on this device, Microsoft won’t ask you to verify after this. Click on the NEXT button to proceed to the next page of the Windows 10 reset PIN wizard.
Check the mail you have entered in the above step (check the spam folder :)). Copy the security code from the mail and paste it as you can see in the following screen. Click the NEXT button !!
On the next screen, “Set up a NEW PIN” – Create a PIN to use in place of passwords. Having a PIN makes it easier to sign in to your device, apps, and services. Enter your new PIN and remember it 🙂
- Windows 10 Version Numbers & Build Numbers Major Minor Build Rev
- Windows 10 Shortcut Keys Keyboard Shortcuts
- Windows 10 Product Key Change Home to Professional Upgrade | Activate.
Anoop is Microsoft MVP! He is a Solution Architect in enterprise client management with more than 20 years of experience (calculation done in 2021) in IT. He is a logger, Speaker, and Local User Group HTMD Community leader. His main focus is on Device Management technologies like SCCM 2012, Current Branch, and Intune. He writes about ConfigMgr, Windows 11, Windows 10, Azure AD, Microsoft Intune, Windows 365, AVD, etc…