Microsoft released a new version of SCCM/ConfigMgr CB 1702 here. If your SCCM infrastructure is running with ONLINE “service connection” point and your SCCM CB version is 1602 (and later) then, you will receive the SCCM CB 1702 update in the console. For SCCM CB infra with online service connection point, the SCCM CB 1702 update will automatically appear in the console once Microsoft release this for “slow ring“. Now, Microsoft released SCCM CB 1702 updates only for the “fast ring.” I have upgraded the standalone SCCM CB 1610 primary site to SCCM CB 1702. My experience of this upgrade was very smooth and robust. I didn’t face any hiccups after downloading the SCCM CB 1702 source files automatically to the primary server. Above video will give a step by step walkthrough of SCCM/ConfigMgr CB 1610 and 1702 upgrade process! More details about SCCM 1702 release note here.
Feature Comparison between SCCM CB production version 1610 and 1702 – Video – Here
Don’t upgrade to SCCM/ConfigMgr CB 1702 version if your primary servers/CAS is running on Windows 2008 R2 server. The minimum OS requirement for SCCM CB 1702 upgrade is Windows Server 2012 and Later. More details here. You need to make sure that you have supported version of SQL installed on the primary servers/CAS. SQL 2008 R2 SP3 is not supported, and it should have minimum SQL 2012 R2. So, hold on with your SCCM CB 1702 to upgrade if you don’t have supported SQL and OS versions.
Issues with getting ConfigMgr SCCM 1702 updates available in SCCM CB console? The SCCM/ConfigMgr CB 1702 update is still not available in SCCM CB console? Following are the steps you need to follow for FAST RING release of SCCM CB 1702:- More details are available in my previous post “SCCM ConfigMgr 2012 to CB upgrade Unofficial Checklist“
- Download the PowerShell script to ENABLE the first wave of customers (Script is available in the above link here) – SKIP THIS STEP – NOT Required NOW
- Run the PowerShell Launch from an elevated command prompt (local admin access) PS Command – “EnableFastUpdateRing1702.ps1 <SiteServer_Name | SiteServer_IP>” – SKIP THIS STEP – NOT Required NOW
- Force a check for the update. Go to \Administration\Overview\Cloud Services\Updates and Servicing and click “Check for Updates.” You may need to try “Check for Updates” more than once if the package is not downloaded on the first try.
- Wait for some time. DMP Downloader component will start the Download via SCCM CB 1606 updates and Servicing channel (DMPdownloader.log for more details)
- SCCM CB 1702 Prerequisites check
- Start the installation and wait for the replication of source files to the server in the hierarchy if you have CAS and Primary servers (this is not covered as I don’t have SCCM CB hierarchy in the lab)
- Once installation is completed on CAS server then, automatic SCCM CB 1702 upgrade process will kick in for child Primary servers as per the service windows scheduled on the respective primary server
As you can see in the above screen capture the SCCM/ConfigMgr CB 1702 is already downloaded and available for the upgrade process on my SCCM primary server. Download process of SCCM CB 1702 still has some challenges and there is here is some room for improvement. The SCCM CB 1702 download was stuck in downloading state for a long time. I had to restart the SMS Executive service to make the “in-console” 1702 update to an available state. Right click on the Configuration Manager 1702 update and Install.
The SCCM/ConfigMgr CB 1702 upgrade experience was very smooth for me. The SCCM/ConfigMgr CB 1702 upgrade process can take time depending on several factors like hardware performance of server components and SQL DB size etc.. You can monitor the status of the upgrade from CMUpdate.log. Also, check the Monitoring workspace for a more standardized status table with respective log file details of each stage of an upgrade.
The last stage of the ConfigMgr/SCCM CB 1610 to 1702 upgrade process is SCCM CB console upgrade. Once, the console is upgraded successfully then; you can see the latest version of site server version. Also, the SCCM CB 1702 version details will be updated in the primary servers or CAS server registry key.
Version 1702 Console Version 5.000.8498.1400 Site Version:5.0.8498.1000