Configuration Manager Distribution Point is the content\source files for client devices. In this post, you shall learn how to install a New Distribution Point Role. Check out another blog Learn How to Remove Distribution Point Role|SCCM|ConfigMgr.
NOTE! – What is Distribution Point ? A distribution point contains source files for clients to download. You can control content distribution by using bandwidth, throttling, and scheduling options.
Distribution Point Prerequisites
You need to confirm the operating system support for SCCM Distribution Point installation from here. The following are some of the other prerequisites of SCCM DP.
NOTE! – You have an option to install and configure IIS via SCCM DP installation wizard as shown below.
- Windows Server roles and features
- Remote Differential Compression
- IIS configuration
- Application Development:
- ISAPI Extensions
- Application Development:
- Windows Authentication
- IIS 6 Management Compatibility:
- IIS 6 Metabase Compatibility
- IIS 6 WMI Compatibility
- Visual C++ Redistributable
- To support PXE or multicast
- Enable a PXE responder on a distribution point without Windows Deployment Service.
- Install and configure the Windows Deployment Services (WDS) Windows Server role.
- For a multicast-enabled distribution point, make sure the SQL Server Native Client is installed and up to date. For more information, see Prerequisite checks – SQL Server Native Client.
More details available here.
Add Site Server Account
Make sure the your site server has administrative privileges on remote distribution point server before start of the activity.
- Add Site Server Computer account to DP server’s local administrators Group
Add New Distribution Point | ConfigMgr
You can install the Distribution point from Configuration Manager console. The following are the steps to install SCCM DP on a Windows server.
You want to install remote Distribution point and new site system server, then follow the steps.
NOTE! – When you already have remote site system server and want to install remote DP on that already existing site system, then you can skip following two steps.
- Navigate \Administration\Overview\Site Configuration\Sites
- Right click on site server and select Create Site System Server
- Enter remote DP server FQDN and click next
- Navigate \Administration\Overview\Site Configuration\Servers and Site System Roles
- Select the Site System server and Right Click on the server – Select Add Site System Roles
- Click NEXT to continue
Select Site System Role
- Click NEXT on the proxy configuration page. Proxy is not required for this DP setup
- Select Distribution Point option and click NEXT button
IIS, Branch Cache, LEDBAT settings
- Select Install & Configure IIS option (Recommended)
- You can select Branch Cache, LEDBAT, and the other options if you are planning to use those
- Click on NEXT to continue
Client Communication Settings
NOTE! – Configure how client devices communicate with the new distribution point: HTTP or HTTPS communication? I selected HTTP the a new distribution point setup. More details about HTTPS site system configuration available in the previous post.
- HTTP – Doesn’t support mobile or Mac computers
- Allow clients to connect anonymously
- HTTPS – Requires computers to have a valid PKI client certificate
Drive Letter Settings
- Specify the Drive settings for the New SCCM distribution Point (I have selected the default settings)
NOTE! – Do not use C drive content library location. Try to create a NO_SMS_ON_DRIVE.SMS (blank text file) in the drives where you don’t want to use as content library location.
➡➡To prevent the content library from being installed on a specific drive, create an empty file named NO_SMS_ON_DRIVE.SMS. Copy it to the root of the drive before the content library is created.
Other Configurations – PXE, Multicast
- Enable PXE from the PXE settings page (Install Windows Deployment Services – WDS) and configure another PXE related configuration from Microsoft doc. and Click Next
- Multicast from the Multicast configuration page and Click Next
- Content validation is the option integration of the the content distributed to Distribution Point and Click next
- Specify the boundary groups associated with the new Site system/Distribution point
- Click NEXT, NEXT, and CLOSE to completed the creation of new Distribution Point from Configuration Manager console
Log Files to Confirm Installation of a New Distribution Point
Hman.log log file is the best place to check the progress of SCCM (Configuration Manager) Distribution Point.
The following packages shall get deployed to all SCCM DPs by default. You don’t have to deploy it these packages to your DPs.
- Configuration Manager Client Upgrade Package
- Configuration Manager Client Package
Server Info of site TP4 has changed. Update the DPInfo table in the database. Distribution Points of site TP4 have changed. Update the DistributionPoints table in the database. Inserted DP ["Display=\SCCMTP2.Intune.com\"]MSWNET:["SMS_SITE=TP4"]\SCCMTP2.Intune.com. CRC:9190EA6C,PDP:0,PullDP:0 Publish Client Packages To New DP. DP's SiteCode is TP4, this site is TP4. DP Reports to SecondarySite = 0. Publish the client package
The following are Distmgr.log log file entries while building a new DP server in your configuration manager infrastructure.
DP upgrade processing thread: Upgrading DP with ID 2. Thread 0x127c. Used 1 threads out of 50. Processing 2.INS DPID 2 - NAL Path ["Display=\SCCMTP2.Intune.com\"]MSWNET:["SMS_SITE=TP4"]\SCCMTP2.Intune.com\ , ServerName = SCCMTP2.INTUNE.COM, DPDrive = , IsMulticast = 0, PXE = 0, RemoveWDS = 0, SccmPXE = 0 PullDP ["Display=\SCCMTP2.Intune.com\"]MSWNET:["SMS_SITE=TP4"]\SCCMTP2.Intune.com\ is marked Uninstalled GetDPUsableDrives - ["Display=\SCCMTP2.Intune.com\"]MSWNET:["SMS_SITE=TP4"]\SCCMTP2.Intune.com\ user(NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM) runing application(SMS_DISTRIBUTION_MANAGER) from machine (SCCMTP2.Intune.com) is submitting SDK changes from site(TP4) Finished GetDPUsableDrives - ["Display=\SCCMTP2.Intune.com\"]MSWNET:["SMS_SITE=TP4"]\SCCMTP2.Intune.com\ GetContentLibLocation - SCCMTP2.INTUNE.COM . . The distribution point ["Display=\SCCMTP2.Intune.com\"]MSWNET:["SMS_SITE=TP4"]\SCCMTP2.Intune.com\ is not installed or upgraded yet. IISPortsList in the SCF is "80". IISSSLPortsList in the SCF is "443". . . DP settings have been updated to SCCMTP2.INTUNE.COM. Install Internet server= 1 Command line to install IIS: 'dism.exe /online /norestart /enable-feature /ignorecheck /featurename:"IIS-WebServerRole" /featurename:"IIS-WebServer" /featurename:"IIS-CommonHttpFeatures" /featurename:"IIS-StaticContent" /featurename:"IIS-DefaultDocument" /featurename:"IIS-DirectoryBrowsing" /featurename:"IIS-HttpErrors" /featurename:"IIS-HttpRedirect" /featurename:"IIS-WebServerManagementTools" /featurename:"IIS-IIS6ManagementCompatibility" /featurename:"IIS-Metabase" /featurename:"IIS-WindowsAuthentication" /featurename:"IIS-WMICompatibility" /featurename:"IIS-ISAPIExtensions" /featurename:"IIS-ManagementScriptingTools" /featurename:"MSRDC-Infrastructure" /featurename:"IIS-ManagementService" '. . . Finished updating DP setting from SCF to DP machine, configure branchcache, LEDBAT, DOINC - SCCMTP2.Intune.com Successfully updated configuration settings on server - SCCMTP2.Intune.com . . Finished GetDPUsableDrives - ["Display=\SCCMTP2.Intune.com\"]MSWNET:["SMS_SITE=TP4"]\SCCMTP2.Intune.com\ CreateSignatureShare, connecting to DP Successfully created the directory for the signature export - \SCCMTP2.Intune.com\C$\SMSSIG$. Successfully created share SMSSIG$ on server SCCMTP2.Intune.com Share SMSPKGC$ exists on distribution point \SCCMTP2.Intune.com\SMSPKGC$ Finished GetContentLibLocation - SCCMTP2.Intune.com . . Enabling Anonymous access for virtual directory CCMTOKENAUTH_SMS_DP_SMSPKG$. Successfully created the virtual directory CCMTOKENAUTH_SMS_DP_SMSPKG$ for the physical path C:\SCCMContentLib. Successfully created the virtual directory SMS_DP_SMSSIG$ for the physical path C:\SMSSIG$.
Results – Configuration Manager Distribution Point
Navigate to \Monitoring\Overview\Distribution Status\Content Status and check the package status from MECM Console!
- Install and configure distribution points in Configuration Manager – https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/configmgr/core/servers/deploy/configure/install-and-configure-distribution-points
- Setting up HTTPS MP SUP SCCM Site Systems for Co-Management – https://www.anoopcnair.com/setting-up-https-mp-sup-sccm-site-systems/