In this post, we will see what is the difference in Windows 10 1909 deployment or update. The screen shots of this post is taken from Microsoft Ignite session by Vivek Singh Gaur. More details about the session and recording available in the below section of this post.
Ignite 2019 Coverage
- Microsoft Endpoint Management SCCM Intune Windows Updates
- Microsoft Endpoint Manager is the future of SCCM Intune MEMMI MEMCM
- iOS Android macOS Mobile Enrollment Options with Intune
- Basics of Windows Dynamic Update Explained Update Management
- WVD End User Experience Availability Updates
- MSIX Updates from Ignite Reliability Network Disk-space
- Microsoft Learning Certification Exams Updates
- On-Prem WVD Options Azure Quantum Qualys Scan Integration
- Intune Reporting Strategies Advanced Reporting
- Intune Endpoint Security Policies Enhancements
- Intune Policy Sets Collection of Workflows
- Windows Autopilot Updates Timelines
- Microsoft Connected Cache Container Instances in Azure
Windows 10 1909 leverages servicing technologies used for the monthly quality update process. From Microsoft perspective, Windows 10 1909 is less disruptive for customers already on 1903.
Deployment Changes for Windows 10 1909 Updates
If you are on Windows 10 1809 or earlier there of be much changes in deployment behavior of Windows 10 1909. Otherwise(Win 10 1903 or later), you will get much faster update/upgrade experience.
Windows Update for Business Changes?
- Windows 10 1809 or Earlier – Windows team confirmed that there is no difference in the deployment experience. if the update is coming down from Windows update for Business (configured via Intune?). The experience will be similar to all previous feature update experiences.
- Windows 10 1903 – This Windows 10 1909 update experience will be much faster and less disruptive. May be similar to monthly cumulative updates?
WSUS/SCCM Windows 10 1909 Update Experience?
- Windows 10 1809 or Earlier – No change in the deployment mechanism. Continue to use
- IPU Task Sequence
- Installation Media
- Windows 10 1903 Devices – Windows 10 Feature update to Windows 10 1909 will be delivered via Enablement package KB4517245.
- The SCCM experience would be similar to monthly cumulative patches. ADRs??
- WSUS category of this update is Upgrades
- Or You can use all the methods mentioned above like IPU TS, installation media or 1909. But that experience will be going to be similar to 1809 feature updates.
Servicing of Windows 10 1909
- 30 months of servicing
- Windows 10 1903 and 1909 share the same core operating system. So, KBs for the servicing updates (CU) will be common between both versions.
- There will be two different updates available via WSUS/SCCM and all?
End User Experience of WSUS/SCCM Update to 1909?
I feel Windows 10 1909 update experience will be similar to monthly patch experience.
Session – Windows 10 1909 Deployment
- The next feature update for Windows 10 – Windows 10, version 1909 – will be a scoped set of features for select performance improvements, enterprise features and quality enhancements. To deliver these updates in a less disruptive fashion. More details – https://myignite.techcommunity.microsoft.com/sessions/82867?source=schedule
- Understanding Windows 10 UEFI Secure Boot
- Understanding Device Health Attestation Intune Device Compliance Check