How to Migrate SCCM CB Primary server to New Hardware Configuration Manager ConfigMgr? How to Migrate SCCM CB 1606 primary server to new hardware or a new virtual server?
How to restore SCCM CB primary server from the full SCCM backup? I’ll try to answer these two questions in this blog post and the video.
I used SCCM CB full backup to migrate the primary server into a virtual server. In this scenario, I’ve SCCM CB primary site server and Database server on the same box.
After the migration, Intune/cloud communication was not working, and all the logs (CloudUserSync.log, DMPUploader.log, and DMPDownloader.log) filled with “Certmgr has not installed certificate yet, sleep for 1 minute.“.
The resolution was to remove Intune subscription and add it back. More details about “Migrate SCCM CB Primary server to New Hardware or new virtual server”. How to Migrate SCCM CB Primary server to New Hardware Configuration Manager ConfigMgr.
Prerequisites Migrate SCCM CB Primary server to New Hardware
Following are the prerequisites which we need to follow while migrating the SCCM CB primary server to new hardware:- How to SCCM CB Primary server to New Hardware Configuration Manager ConfigMgr.
- FQDN Hostname Should be the same :
- Drive Letters should be the same :
- The installation path should be the same:
- Should have the same patch level:
- Better to have the same IP:
Tips – Migrate SCCM CB Primary server to New Hardware
- The following steps will help to complete the migration steps easily
- 1. Document local SMS group memberships of existing server
- 2. Perform differential Robocopy of the backup folders to the new server (Package Source\DP files\WSUS)
- 3. Shutdown Current SCCM CB Server
- 4. Delete AD object of existing SCCM Server from Active Directory Users and Computers
- 5. Rename the new server to the old SCCM CB server name
- 6. Give New Server OLD IP address (Optional)
- 7. Perform Domain Join of new SCCM CB server. Provide FULL ACCESS to new SCCM CB computer object in System Management container and also add to respective AD groups wherever required.
- 8. Install all the prerequisites – ADK, WSUS, SQL, etc…
- 9. Run the setup from CD.Latest folder to get the latest binaries of the existing CB site.
Anoop is Microsoft MVP! He is a Solution Architect in enterprise client management with more than 20 years of experience (calculation done in 2021) in IT. He is a blogger, Speaker, and Local User Group HTMD Community leader. His main focus is on Device Management technologies like SCCM 2012, Current Branch, and Intune. E writes about ConfigMgr, Windows 11, Windows 10, Azure AD, Microsoft Intune, Windows 365, AVD, etc…